Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Colorado

    Colorado Special Vehicles

    If you have a special vehicle in Colorado, such as an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), snowmobile, or moped, remember you need to have it registered before you can take it for a spin. While there are different processes and requirements for registering different types of vehicles, it doesn't have to be a headache.

    This page gives you all the information you need to register your special vehicle and avoid being hit with a fine and other penalties.

    ATVs and Snowmobiles in Colorado

    Yes, you do have to register your ATV or snowmobile before you head to the back country to enjoy Colorado's great outdoors. In fact, all off-highway vehicles (OHVs) need registration, including dirt bikes, three-wheelers, and dune buggies.

    The registration process is a little different to registering your car. Instead of registering through the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you register through the Parks and Wildlife Registration Unit using a Registration Application (Form APRG09001). Once you've completed the form, you can return it to:

    Parks and Wildlife Registration Unit
    13787 South Highway 85
    Littleton, CO 80125

    You may also go to a State Park office or OHV agent. Visit the appropriate website for a complete list of OHV agents or snowmobile agents.

    Registration Fees

    OHV registration currently costs $25.25 and is valid until March 31st. Snowmobile registration currently costs $30.25 and is valid from October 1 to September 30. Partial year registrations cannot be prorated.

    Registration Renewal

    The easiest way to renew your registration is online. All you need is the vehicle registration, payment for the appropriate fees, and to print out a temporary permit.

    If you're more comfortable without a computer, you can always complete the registration renewal card and send it to the indicated address.

    CO Trailer Registration

    Colorado does require you to register your trailer. To do this, you need a valid title on it. Some states don't title trailers, so if this is the case you'll want to go to your local county office with documentation that you own the vehicle. A bill of sale works best, but you can always use a Statement of Trailer Ownership (Form DR 2374).

    You'll also want to have the following:

    • Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification, if you're coming from out of state.
    • Colorado driver's license.
    • Proof of insurance for the vehicle pulling the trailer.

    If you were handy enough to build or assemble your own trailer, it still needs titling. To get your title and registration, you'll use the same procedure as a regular trailer, but you'll also have to complete a Statement of Assembly of Homemade Trailer and Assignment of Trailer I.D. Number (Form DR 2409). In addition, you'll have to provide a bill of sale for all materials used to put the trailer together, such as axles and wheels.

    Boats and Small Vessels

    There are quite a few people out there who say boats and trailers go hand in hand. Once you've titled and registered your trailer, you'll have to register your boat, too. See our boat registration page for more information.

    RVs and Campers in Colorado

    The kings of mobile living still need titling and registration in Colorado. Don't fret. It's not as complicated as it might sound. Just read our handy guide to registering RVs.

    Motorcycles and Mopeds

    Yes, you do need to register your motorcycle or moped before cruising the Colorado mountain roads. See our guide to registering motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.