Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers in the Military in Colorado

    Colorado has rather lenient policies when it comes to certain license issues for those serving out-of-state or abroad on active duty in the military.

    Basic Driver License

    If you are stuck in some desert foxhole overseas in 100-degree heat with bullets the size of sidewalk chalk buzzing by, most likely the last thing you are thinking about is the state's license renewal procedures.

    Of course, not every person in the military is engaged in combat or even overseas, but there are plenty that are residents but currently reside outside of the rectangle that is Colorado. Fortunately, military folks and their dependents are eligible for a free extension of 3 years (1 time only). But, even so, you will need to provide a few things to the Division of Motor Vehicles in order to receive the extension.

    • Name.
    • Date of birth.
    • Driver license number.
    • Photocopy of military ID card (front and back).
    • Current address to mail the extension.

    Fax the Reissue Out of State/Extension (Form DR 2989) to (303) 205-5990 or send via mail to:

    • Colorado Department of Revenue
    • Division of Motor Vehicles Room 164 - ROS
    • P.O. Box 173350
    • Denver, CO 80217

    Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL)

    The process of extending a CDL while serving out-of-state on active duty in the military is even simpler. It is done automatically, without you having to worry about contacting anyone. The extension is for good for a maximum of 3 years. Simply present your old license along with a military ID card or orders and you are valid.

    Emissions Testing

    Military personnel and/or their spouses can be granted an emissions renewal reprieve by completing and mailing in this Application for an Affidavit of Emissions Extension (Form DR 2376) to a local driver license office.

    Registration Renewal

    Although there are extended amnesty periods for license renewals and emissions, it is not so with registration renewal. If you have a car sitting around back home and are off on military duty somewhere, you will still need to pay the required fees by the end of the grace period of 1 month.

    If you are the resident of another state, but stationed in Colorado, you can register your vehicle without paying ownership tax by completing this Nonresidence and Military Service Exemption From Specific Ownership Tax Affidavit (Form DR 2667) and taking it to your county title and registration office.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.