Behind the Wheel in Colorado
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
Passing the written exam has never been easier, thanks to DMV Cheat Sheets. It's like having the answers before you take the test.
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- Driver's License, Motorcycle, and CDL
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Purchase a DMV Written Test Cheat Sheet
Colorado Behind-the-Wheel Training
If you're a teenager applying for your first driver's license, you may need to complete both driver's training and behind-the-wheel driving practice to satisfy the young driver requirements of the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Both components of your behind-the-wheel requirements will help you develop your driving skills and gain the experience necessary to take on the responsibilities of a new driver.
On this page you'll find information about your driver's training/behind-the-wheel requirements and what you need to do to get your first driver's license.
NOTE: If you need information about obtaining your driving permit so you can begin your behind-the-wheel practice, see our Driver's Permits page.
Your Colorado behind-the-wheel requirements vary depending on your age.
If you are younger than 16 1/2 years old, you must:
- Complete a driver's training course with a driving instructor. See “Colorado Driver's Training Course" below).
- Complete at least 50 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel practice.
If you are between 16 1/2 years old and 17 years old you'll only need to complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving practice. (See “Supervised Driving Practice in CO" below.)
You can begin your behind-the-wheel driving requirements when you are at least 15 years old by enrolling in a driver's education course and applying for your learner's permit.
For more information, please visit our pages on those topics:
If you want to obtain your driver's license when you are younger than 16 1/2 years old, you'll need to complete:
- 6 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with an approving driving school.
- 12 hours of supervised driving practice IF there is no driver's training school within 30 miles of your house that offers at least 20 hours of behind-the-wheel training per week.
You should receive a completion certificate when you complete driver's training.
NOTE: Behind-the-wheel training is a component of many Driver's Ed programs. For a complete list of driver’s training schools, please visit the CO DMV website.
While you hold a learner's permit, you'll be able to drive ONLY under the supervision of a licensed adult who is at least 21 years old.
Before advancing to your Colorado driver's license, you'll need to complete at least 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving practice, including 10 hours at night.
You can keep track of your behind-the-wheel practice with the Drive Time Log Sheet (Form DR 2324), which you'll need to submit to the Colorado DMV when you apply for your driver's license.
NOTE: Only the driving practice you complete with the adults who signed your Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (Form DR 2460) will count towards your 50 hours.
You'll be eligible to take your driving test and obtain your CO driver's license when you:
- Are at least 16 years old.
- Have held your learner's permit for at least 12 months.
- Complete your professional driver's training, if required.
- Complete your supervised behind-the-wheel practice and submit your driving log.
For more information, please visit our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Colorado page.
Include this form with a minor's learner's permit or driver's license application.
Use this form to track supervised driving hours for teen drivers.
heroes have registered as organ donors.