Drivers Permits in Colorado
Colorado offers multiple ways to get an instruction permit based on age. All minors must present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship. Below are the three age groups:
- Age 15 years old to 15 years and 6 months (Driver Education Permit): You have to complete an Affidavit of Completion of a Driver Education Classroom Course or Behind-the-Wheel Training (BTW), which you can find on the back of the Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship.
- Age 15 years and 6 months to 16 years old (Driver Awareness Permit): You must provide proof that you have completed an approved four-hour driver awareness program.
- Age 16 years old to 21 years old (Minor Instruction Permit): You'll have to provide a birth certificate and another form of identification, as well as pass the written and vision tests.
Conditions for Instruction Permits
All permits for minors have the same conditions:
- Expires 3 years after the date of issue.
- You can only drive with an approved instructor or the person who signed the Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship.
If you've lost your permit, you can always get a duplicate. Unfortunately, this means you'll have to take a trip to your county office with acceptable proofs of identification, along with the required fees.
All instruction permits expire 3 years after the date of issue. If your permit has expired and you would like to renew it, you must do the following:
- Present your original permit.
- Pass a vision test.
- Be fingerprinted and photographed.
- Pay the appropriate fees.
Typically, you won't have to retake the written test. However, there are certain situations when you do, such as:
- Traffic violations that have resulted in suspension of your permit.
- Cancellation, denial or revocation of your permit.
Colorado's DMV doesn't currently offer online practice tests, but you can request a written practice test from any county office.
Too, you can always use one of our online practice tests by visiting our test preparation page.Other Topics in This SectionOrgan Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸