Defensive Driving in Colorado
On this page you'll find information about Colorado defensive driving course details and completion options.
Taking Defensive Driving in Colorado
In Colorado, you have the option of completing a traffic school/defensive driving course online or in the classroom.
Usually, you will get to decide whether you will take a classroom or online defensive driving course. However, your specific circumstances may call for a certain course.
You may be able to complete a defensive driving course to:
- Dismiss your traffic ticket with the Colorado court.
- Avoid points being added to your driving record.
- Remove existing points from your driving record.
- Avoid increased car insurance rates.
- Earn a safe driving discount on your car insurance.
CO Traffic School Ticket Dismissal
If you've received a traffic citation for a minor moving violation, you may be able to dismiss your ticket with a driver improvement course.
The Colorado court handling your case will determine whether your traffic ticket can be dismissed based upon the circumstances of your offense and your driving history.
If eligible and approved, the court will provide you details about:
- Your deadline for completing the course.
- How to submit proof of course completion.
- Any fees you owe to dismiss your ticket.
Contact your Colorado traffic court for specific information.
Remove Driving Record Points with Colorado Traffic School
If you are not able to complete a defensive driving/traffic school course to dismiss a traffic ticket, points will be added to your Colorado DMV driving record.
Too many driving record points can lead to DMV fines and a suspended driver's license.
For more information, please visit our pages on the following topics:
NOTE: If you are in danger of receiving a driver's license suspension as a result of too many driving record points, you may be able to remove some points by completing a defensive driving course. Please contact the Colorado DMV for more information about driver improvement courses and removing existing driving record points.
Earn a Colorado Car Insurance Discount
If you decide to complete a defensive driving course voluntarily, your car insurance company may award you with a safe driver discount.
Generally, defensive driving course discounts are offered to younger and elderly drivers, but you may qualify regardless of your age.
For details about your eligibility to take defensive driving for a car insurance discount, please contact your insurance provider directly.
CO Defensive Driving Course Details
Your defensive driving course (whether taken online or in a classroom) will cover a variety of topics, such as:
- Safe driving skills and techniques.
- Colorado traffic laws and violations.
- Becoming a more responsible driver.
- Preventing traffic accidents.
Generally, traffic school may take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours to complete.
If you are taking defensive driving to dismiss a traffic ticket, the court will determine how long you have to complete your course.
If you are taking a program voluntarily, the deadline for completion will be determined by your traffic school provider.
Completing Your Course
To successfully complete your defensive driving course, you'll need to earn a passing score on a final exam.
Once you pass, you should receive a defensive driving/traffic school completion certificate, which may need to submit to your court or car insurance company.
Defensive driving eligibility will be different for everyone. For specific details about your eligibility, requirements, and options, please contact:
- Your Colorado traffic court.
- Your car insurance provider.
- The Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office near you.
- What’s Covered in a Defensive Driving Course?
- How to Replace a Lost Defensive Driving Completion Certificate
- Defend Your Driving: Submitting Your Defensive Driving Certificate of Completion
- SD Police Will Know Exactly How Much Green You’ve Had This St. Patrick’s Day, Thanks to New Drugged Driving Detector