Paperwork When Buying a Car in Colorado
Get detailed VIN History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
When you buy a vehicle from a private party, get the following from the seller:
- Handing over the Certificate of Title with the name of the seller(s) signed and printed. If you are purchasing a car or truck that has been around for some time, the title might require notarization of the signatures. The state has a Statement of Transfer form that allows the notary process to be skipped. Also, make sure that the "buyer's box" on the title has your name and address listed in it as the new owner.
- Providing a bill of sale listing the buyer's name, agreed upon purchase amount, vehicle identification number (VIN), and the year and make of the vehicle. This document might need to be notarized if it does not contain a signed perjury statement.
- Supplying an odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. This can just be written into the box provided on the back of the title.
- Producing a passing emissions inspection certificate, if you are living in an emissions region.
Generally you cannot buy or sell a vehicle without a title, because the title proves ownership and is necessary to retitle and register the vehicle in the new owner's name.
A couple of exceptions do exist, but only when buying vehicles from Canada, where the registration document serves as proof of ownership. The other exception is when you buy from a dealership and receive a certificate of origin, which you can use to register the vehicle until the title is processed.
If you buy a vehicle without a title, you need to establish ownership via a surety bond.
When you purchase a vehicle (new or used) from a dealer, they will complete all the necessary paperwork and include the cost of filing those papers in your cost of the vehicle.
The importance of securing a bill of sale, can't be emphasized enough. It serves as your proof of purchase and protects you down the road should any questions arise over vehicle sales tax fees. You can easily download one from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Chrysler Cold Shoulders Government’s Recall Request
- Driver Signs: A Zodiac Guide to Your Road Habits
- Say Hello to Tougher Texting-While-Driving Penalties, New York!
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing