Salesperson License in Colorado
In order to sell vehicles, Colorado requires a vehicle salesperson license. This process is managed by the Department of Revenue's Auto Industry Division.
License Law Manual
Versing yourself on Colorado's Motor Vehicle Industry License Law Manual is highly recommended. This manual provides detailed information on Colorado's dealership/salesperson laws.
- You must be employed by a Colorado dealership
- Complete and submit a https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Colorado%20Auto%20Industry%20Salesperson%20Application%20DR%202115_0.pdfAuto Industry Salesperson Application (Form DR 2115)
- Pass the https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Examination%20Affidavit%20DR%202097_0.pdfMastery Exam
- Complete the Exam Affidavit(Form DR 2097)
- Submit a $15,000 Surety Bond
- Pay the $116 application fee
You can click here for detailed requirement information.
Submit applications and fees to:
- Auto Industry Division
- 1881 Pierce Street
- Lakewood, CO 80214
Upon receiving your application, Colorado's Dealer Board will immediately issue a temporary sales license while it reviews your information. This can take several weeks. If all of your information is deemed sufficient, your temporary license will upgrade to permanent.
If your application is denied, you'll be issued a Notice of Denial explaining that you must stop selling vehicles.
- Original License: $116
- Renewal: $88
- Additional License for Multiple Dealerships: $88
- Late Fee: $50 *Fees are subject to change on a yearly basis.
A salesperson license and surety bond is valid for 1 year.
Your license renewal form will be mailed to your dealership. It must be completed and mailed back, through your dealership, along with either a new bond or a continuation certificate and a $88 renewal fee.
For questions regarding salesperson licensing, you can call the Auto Industry Division at (303) 205-5604.
Application for a motor vehicle salespersons' license.
Part of the salesperson's license application to certify that you've passed the required exam.