Accident Guide in Colorado
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Colorado's snow, combined with our frenzy to get to the slopes, sometimes gets us into trouble, or more accurately, accidents.
In the event of an accident, you should stop and make sure everyone involved is OK. If anyone is injured, call an ambulance and give aid the best you can.
Otherwise, you should exchange the following information:
- Insurance information (policy number and insurance company).
- Telephone numbers.
- And don't forget your name!
Colorado law requires all accidents to be reported immediately. If a police officer responds to the scene and gets all information from the involved parties, the police report satisfies your responsibility. However, if a police officer isn't involved, you will have to report the accident either using an online accident report or download a traffic accident report.
Note that Colorado's online accident reporting system has a few requirements. To report online, each of the following must be true:
- There were no fatalities or injuries involved.
- The accident was not a hit and run (you can provide information from the other party involved).
- No public property was damaged.
- There was no suspicion of any party driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
If any of the above statements are true, you should contact the law enforcement department in charge of the jurisdiction where your accident happened. They will provide further instructions to start an investigation.
Colorado's DMV keeps accident reports for seven years. If you need an accident report, you can write to the DMV and include the following information:
- Date of birth.
- Date of accident.
- Mailing address.
- Payment of $2.20. If you want the report certified, total payment is $2.70.
Note that the DMV takes about eight weeks to send a report to you.
Sometimes your insurance company will need you to do some leg work if you've been in an accident. Below are some common forms you may need to fill out.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.