511 Traffic Systems in CaliforniaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
511, by phone or the Internet, provides up-to-the-minute travel information. Expect to find the latest weather, highway travel conditions (accidents, construction, detours), and public transportation by using 511. Some areas also offer ride-sharing information and other regional details; for example, San Diego's 511 tells you how long the wait at the Mexican border is.
Already on the road? First of all, pull over. It is illegal to use your cell phone or text while driving. Then, simply dial 511 for information over the phone. It's the price of a local call―use either a cell phone or a landline. After you dial, you'll hear a menu that may be voice-activated, and a list of choices.
The state is divided into nine sections on the The CalTrans California Smart Traveler website:
- San Diego (also located on the Web at www.511sd.com)
- Southern California
- Bay Area (also located on the Web at www.511.com)
- Yosemite (also located on the Web at www.yosemite.com)
- North Coast
- Northern California
Travelers in the Sacramento region may visit www.sacregion511.org.
At this time, the 511 service is still unavailable in some areas of the state.
When traveling in the U.S., check to see if 511 is deployed in the state you're in yet.Other Topics in This Section
True or False
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.