- Location: California
Replacing a Lost Title in CaliforniaPage Overview
If you cannot locate the title to your vehicle, or if the document has been damaged beyond recognition, the reapplication process is simple.
Download, printout, and complete the Application for Duplicate Title Form. Keep in mind, though, that the true/legal owner must sign the form and have it notarized.
When filling out the application do not forget to include:
- Owner's full name.
- Owner's current address.
- Owner's driver license number.
- Vehicle's license plate number.
- Signature to the statement of facts about what happened to the title.
- Damaged title, if applicable.
You can also use this form for paperless title certification, transfer of title with duplicate title, or a transfer of title with paperless title.
You may submit the duplicate title application by mail at:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Registration Operations
- P.O. Box 942869 MS E69
- Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
Alternatively, you may also apply in person by making an appointment at a nearby DMV, but don't forget to take your California driver license.
The duplicate title fee is $19, but this will vary with type of vehicle and is subject to change.
Refer to the related registration fees if you need to replace a lost title for a boat or other vessel.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks