Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Title in California

    Replace Your Lost California Title Today!

    Official California Vehicle Registration & Stickers Issued.
    Overnight Delivery Available.

    Free DMV Lookup & Instant Fee Calculation

    License Plate #

    11 or 17 Digit VIN

    Zip Code

    Replace your lost California Vehicle Title online and Cartagz will instantly issue your official California registration and stickers.

    California Car Registration Online with CarTagz

    • Saves you a trip to the DMV
    • Helps you avoid late fees
    • Offers next business day delivery
    • Does not require a renewal notice
    • Same Day E-Copy of Your New Registration Card.

    Approved and contracted by the state, Cartagz provides a quick and easy alternative to standing in long lines at the DMV. For $29 (plus DMV fees), you can painlessly renew your registration in just a few simple steps.

    Replacing a Lost Title in California

    How to get a duplicate title with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

    • Complete an Application for Duplicate Title (Form REG 227).
    • Pay the $20 duplicate title fee.
    • Return the application to the CA DMV by mail or in person.

    Read on for more lost title details.

    Applying for a Duplicate CA Title

    You can submit your request for a duplicate vehicle title by mail or in person at your local CA DMV office. You'll need to:

    • Download, print, and complete the Application for Duplicate Title Form (Form REG 227).
      • Keep in mind, though, that the true/legal owner must sign the form and have it notarized.
      • When filling out the application do not forget to include:
        • Owner's full name.
        • Owner's current address.
        • Owner's driver license number.
        • Vehicle's license plate number.
        • Signature to the statement of facts about what happened to the title.
        • Damaged title, if applicable.

    You can also use this form for paperless title certification, transfer of title with duplicate title, or a transfer of title with paperless title.

    How to Submit a Duplicate Title Application in California

    You may submit the duplicate title application by mail at:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Vehicle Registration Operations
    P.O. Box 942869
    Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

    Alternatively, you may also apply in person by making an appointment at a nearby DMV, but don't forget to take your California driver license.

    Application Fees

    The duplicate title fee is $20, but this will vary with type of vehicle and is subject to change.

    Refer to the related registration fees if you need to replace a lost title for a boat or other vessel.

    Name Change/Correction on Your Vehicle Title

    NOTE: If your name is hyphenated or has multiple words, it will show as one word on your title. This is not an error and will not require a name correction.

    When you change your name due to marriage or divorce, or if the name on your title is misspelled, you may need to updated the name on your motor vehicle record.

    To submit your request for a name change with the CA DMV, you must:

    • Present your CA Certificate of Title.
      • Your correct name must be printed or typed above the incorrect name.
    • Complete a Name Statement in Section F of the Statements of Facts (Form REG 256).
      • You'll need to indicate the reason for the name change and your signature.
      • If there is a lien on your vehicle, present this form to the lienholder directly. They'll need to handle the process for you.
    • Fill out an Application for Duplicate Title Form (Form REG 227), if the title is lost, stolen or mutilated.
    • Submit your application in person at any DMV office or by mail to:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Vehicle Registration Operations
    P.O. Box 942869
    Sacramento, CA 94269

    There are no fees for a name change or correction. However, if you're applying for a duplicate title, you'll need to pay the duplicate title fee. See "The Application Fees" above for more details.


    REG 227

    Request a duplicate title or paperless title. Transfer the requested title to a buyer.

    REG 256

    Used to provide additional information for other forms or to correct information on existing documents.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.