- Location: California
Moving Out of State in CaliforniaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Use the Change of Address (DMV 14) form to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of your new address.
This single form updates both your vehicle and driver license records. Also complete your change of address online.
If you've living outside of California on a temporary basis ―for instance, to attend college or because of your job ― you're not required to notify the DMV about your situation.
Submit a Statement of Fact to the DMV before you leave. In Section G, be sure to include your California exit date, your new state, and when you registered in that state.
Send this form, along with a copy of your new registration to:
- DMV Registration
- P.O. Box 942869
- Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
You don't need to cancel your license with the DMV. When you receive a license from your new state, your California license will automatically be canceled.
If you receive a renewal notice after your move, mail the notice to the DMV noting that you no longer live in California along with the date that you moved out of state.
California issues registration refunds for individuals moving out of state in some cases, such as for nonresident military (NRM).
If you are NRM, you may request a refund of vehicle registration fees. You will need:
- A completed Application for Refund (ADM 399) form, which includes:
- The registration year(s) for which a refund is requested
- The NRM's out-of-state residence address (city and state)
- The NRM's duty station at the time the fees were paid
- The registration card and Certificate of Title (if issued) must also be submitted
- In addition, fill out a Reg 256 Statement of Facts form.
Also, you may qualify for a refund if you move your vehicle to your new state before the renewal registration period begins. Visit our Car Registration page for details.
If you have questions, call the DMV automated phone service at (800) 777-0133 anytime or an operator can assist you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, Pacific Time.