- Location: California
Online Services in CaliforniaPage Overview
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- California Driver’s License Testing and Educational Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Other California Online Services
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services (online and otherwise)
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
- CA Vehicle Dealership Services
California offers many online driver and vehicle services. Read on for a list of transactions you can perform online so you're free to get out and enjoy The Land of Sunshine and Opportunity.
Typically, driver services are handled through the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby CA DMV office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Check the application status of your CA drivers license or identification card.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your CA driver license or identification card.
- Replace a lost or damaged driver's license.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Order a driving record.
- Change your California address.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Pay your traffic ticket fines by county.
Refer to our Drivers License & ID section if you don't see the online service you need below; Our driver-related pages offer a wealth of information that can still save you some time.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take an CA drivers license practice test.
- Take an CA drivers permit practice test.
- Take an CA commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take an CA motorcycle license practice test.
- Take a Senior Driver Self-Assessment Test, and take an active role in deciding your driving safety.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a California Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Course with the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP).
- Enroll in a California traffic school course if you received a traffic ticket.
Consult our Driver’s License Checklist for complete details on getting licensed in California.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the California Department of Motor Vehicles. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby CA DMV office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Transfer your vehicle title online
- Register your vehicle for the first time in California.
- Renew your vehicle registration online.
- Estimate your vehicle registration fees with a fee calculator.
- Apply for a vehicle registration refund.
- Obtain a status report of your suspended vehicle registration.
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Affidavit of Non-Use―Alert the DMV of a registered vehicle that’s not being driven or parked on any California roadway.
- Renew your mobile home registration.
- Submit a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability.
- Obtain a California license plate.
- Order special interest and personalized plates.
- Learn more on CA smog check and emissions testing requirements.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need below; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in California that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the Golden State.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.
- Business Partner Automation (BPA)―Allows qualified industry partners to process vehicle related transactions from their remote locations
- Occupational Licensing Industry Memos― Obtain daily updates on vehicle dealership information
- Occupational License Status Information―Obtain information on the status of your vehicle dealership license