Online Services in California
If you're looking to register your vehicle, request your driving record, or simply schedule an appointment, you can now complete these tasks (and more!) online. You'll usually have the choice of either going directly through the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or through a third-party company.
California Vehicle Services
Thanks to the Internet, you can complete a variety of vehicle-related tasks from the comfort of your own home. You have the choice of either going through California's DMV or a trusted third-party vendor.
CA DMV Online Services
The CA Department of Motor Vehicles offers many vehicle-related online services including:
- Renewing and updating vehicle registration.
- Reporting transfer of vehicle liability.
- Vanity license plates.
- Vehicle records.
- Refund request on vehicle fees.
Third Party Options
Privately-owned vendors can also be a great option for your vehicle-related needs; here are a few options to consider:
- A third-party company can provide you with fast and visitor-friendly vehicle registration services.
- Some companies may even perform online services not offered through the DMV, such as vehicle registration replacement.
- Auto insurance:
- If you're looking to buy auto insurance, you can get online insurance quotes that can save you tons of money.
- Motorcycle insurance:
- Insuring your motorcycle is very important, so don't hesitate to research all of your options with CA's several motorcycle insurance providers.
- Vehicle history report (VHR):
- Before buying a used car, it's a good idea to get a vehicle history report or VIN check to make sure your potential new car is in top shape.
- Extended warranty request:
- Manufacturer warranties don't last forever, so for added peace of mind, consider investing in products and services that extend vehicle warranties.
CA License & Personal Records
Similar to vehicle services, there are a number of tasks related to driver's licenses and personal records you can complete online. Some services can only be completed through the CA Department of Motor Vehicles; others may require a third party.
Online Services Provided by the CA DMV
The California DMV offers online solutions for the following license-related services:
- Renew CA driver's license or ID card.
- Occupational license inquiries.
- Driving record request.
- Voter registration.
- Change of address.
Third Party Online Services
Below you'll find online services offered by tested and approved third-party vendors:
- Driving records.
- Instead of using the DMV, consider ordering employee driving records through a third party vendor, which will often deliver results much faster.
- Criminal records.
- You can use certain third-party companies for quick and easy access to your own criminal record.
- Background checks.
- Before applying for certain jobs, you might want to use a third party company to request a timely, personal background check.
- Court records.
- If you want to review the proceedings of a court case, a private company will usually do the tedious, bureaucratic leg work to find those court records.
- Vital records.
- Certain third-party companies allow you to access vital records (e.g. birth, marriage, divorce, death) quickly and without the hassles of the DMV.
- Name change.
- Some private companies will provide you with all of the relevant forms and services to ensure your new name is listed correctly with the Social Security Administration, IRS, personal banks, and more.
- Expedited International Driver Permit.
- Thinking about driving abroad soon? You may want to get an International Driver Permit (IDP) through a third party company to ensure it arrives on time for stress-free travels.
- Expedited passport services.
- If you're in a hurry to leave the country, consider going through a third-party rush service to get your passport as soon as possible.
California Driver's Ed Services
Whether you're applying for your first driver's license or are trying to get points off your driving record, CA driver education classes come in handy.
The California DMV has a search tool pointing you in the direction of approved, third party driver education courses. We've also compiled resources for your specific Driver's Ed needs:
- Traffic school/defensive driving courses.
- Teen Driver's Ed.
- Online Driver's Ed (for teen permit).
- Driver's license/permit cheat sheets.
- Driver's license, motorcycle license, and permit practice tests.
- Motorcycle cheat sheets.
- CDL cheat sheets and practice tests.
- Boater education courses.
Traffic Tickets & Legal Services
Traffic tickets and other legal matters are handled between you and the local court system; however, the DMV offers online services to help you find the proper court.
Additionally, many third-party companies can help you deal with the courts and pay your traffic tickets with speed and simplicity.
Private companies and firms can also handle the following legal services:
Miscellaneous Online Services
If you couldn't find a specific service above, take a look at the rest of the DMV-related tasks you can complete online using the California Department of Motor Vehicles' online service options:
- Schedule a DMV appointment.
- Register to vote.
- Find required forms.
- DMV office locations.
- Businesses affiliated with the DMV.
- Technical website support.