Learner's Permit Checklist in California
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
Passing the written exam has never been easier, thanks to DMV Cheat Sheets. It's like having the answers before you take the test.
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- Driver's License, Motorcycle, and CDL
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Purchase a DMV Written Test Cheat Sheet
How to Get Your California Provisional Permit
- Be at least 15 1/2 years old
- Complete an online or classroom Driver's Ed course and be enrolled in a driver's training (aka behind-the-wheel training) program OR be enrolled in an integrated Driver's Ed/driver's training (behind-the-wheel training) program *
- Complete a practice test (optional) **
- Make an appointment at your local CA DMV office (optional)
** Did You Prepare for the Written Exam?
Taking your provisional permit written exam can be tricky to say the least. In fact, approximately 70% of people fail on their first try.
Don't be one of those that flunk. Prepare beforehand by taking a practice test.
Bring to the CA DMV
- Your parent or guardian to sign the application form (both parents/guardians may be required to sign)
- Social Security card (or proof of your SSN)
- Proof of your date of birth (see accepted documents in gray box)
- Proof of your lawful U.S. presence, if you're a non-U.S. citizen (see accepted documents in gray box)
- Proof of your California residency (your parents will most likely have to provide these documents)
- Driver's Ed completion certificate or proof of enrollment in integrated Driver's Ed/driver's training program *
- Payment for the $33 fee (cash, check, money order, or ATM/debit cards only)
* If you're 17 1/2 years old or younger.
At the DMV
- Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44)
- Have your parent or guardian sign the application form
- Pass the traffic laws and road sign test
- Pay the $33 fee by cash, check, money order, or debit card
Proof of Date of Birth and Legal U.S. Presence (original or certified copy)
- U.S. (or U.S. territory) birth certificate
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
- Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
- USCIS American Indian Card
- U.S. or (U.S. territory) passport
- U.S. military ID card
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Northern Mariana Card
- USCIS U.S. citizen ID card
- Permanent resident card
- Temporary resident ID card
- Canadian passport/birth certificate
- Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
- Valid foreign passport with a printout of I-94
- " Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
- Permanent resident re-entry permit
- Refugee travel document
- Employment Authorization Card
For a complete list of accepted documents, visit www.dmv.ca.gov.
Apply for, renew, or replace a driver's license, permit, motorcycle license, or ID card. Must call or visit the DMV for this form. Not available online.