Driver Handbook in California
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
The California Department of Motor Vehicles publishes all its driver manuals online for residents to download free, in many different languages.
If you've got Adobe's free Reader software, then you can download the California Driver Handbook. If you prefer, the manual is also available in HTML format, which does not require you to download anything.
Catering to the state's diverse culture, the California Driver Handbook is available in nine languages:
Get your handbook by mail by calling your local DMV office or call (800) 777-0133 between 8:00 am and 5:00.
What's in the Driver Handbook?
The California Driver Handbook covers topics such as:
- Who must have a license.
- Information for military personnel.
- Identification required for a first license.
- Replacing a lost or stolen license.
- Minor's permit requirements.
- The exam process.
- Limited-term license.
- Laws of the road.
But the California Driver Handbook is much more than just the basics―you can find information on other pertinent driving issues as well:
- Becoming an organ donor.
- How to avoid road rage.
- Driving in rain, fog, and snow.
- Myths about seat belts.
- Ways to avoid gridlock.
- Safety for the aging driver.
- Handling emergencies.
- Liability insurance requirements.
- Vehicle theft prevention.
- How to lose your license.
Reading through the California Driver Handbook from time to time is a great way to refresh your knowledge of the state's driving rules and regulations―and it's a good way to pick up on bits of information you might have missed before.
If you're interested in applying for a commercial driver's license (CDL), there is a driver's handbook just for you:
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.