Appointments in CaliforniaPage Overview
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers an online DMV Appointment System for scheduling driver- and vehicle-related services. Before you visit a branch office, save yourself some time by booking an appointment first.
You can make an appointment using the online system to complete the tasks below.
- Take the behind-the-wheel driving tests* to obtain an automobile (Class C ) or motorcycle license
- Apply for, replace or renew a CA driver’s license, ID card or instruction (learner) permit
- Register or title a vehicle or vessel (boat)
- Order special license plates
- Request driver license or vehicle registration records
*You can also schedule a road test appointment by calling (800) 777-0133.
Visit the state site for a full list of services and additional information. The options offered by the online system allow you to:
- Make a *behind-the wheel driving test appointment
- Make an office visit appointment
- View or cancel an existing appointment
*For CDL driving test appointments, see the section below. The online system doesn’t handle these.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday
Drivers needing to take the commercial behind-the-wheel driving test CANNOT schedule an appointment using the online system. Instead, you must call (800) 777-0133 during normal business hours. An agent can schedule your driving test or discuss alternative methods for taking the written driver license exam.
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the CA DMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by accessing our Online Services page.