Appointments in California
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers an online DMV Appointment System for scheduling driver- and vehicle-related services. Before you visit a branch office, save yourself some time by booking an appointment first.
You can make an appointment using the online system to complete the tasks below.
- Take the behind-the-wheel driving tests* to obtain an automobile (Class C ) or motorcycle license
- Apply for, replace or renew a CA driver’s license, ID card or instruction (learner) permit
- Register or title a vehicle or vessel (boat)
- Order special license plates
- Request driver license or vehicle registration records
*You can also schedule a road test appointment by calling (800) 777-0133 between the hours of 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday.
Visit the state site for a full list of services and additional information. The three options offered by the online system allow you to:
- Make an office visit appointment
- View or cancel an existing appointment
*For CDL driving test appointments, see the section below. The online system doesn’t handle these.
The CA DMV will not allow written or audio exams to start after 4:30 pm. That way applicants have ample time to complete licensing tests before branch offices close.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday
Drivers needing to take the commercial behind-the-wheel driving test CANNOT schedule an appointment using the online system. Instead, you must call (800) 777-0133 during normal business hours. An agent can schedule your driving test or discuss alternative methods for taking the written driver license exam.
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the CA DMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by accessing our Online Services page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback