Tax and Tags Calculator
Find Your State's Vehicle Tax & Tag Fees
When purchasing a vehicle, the tax and tag fees are calculated based on a number of factors, including:
- The county the vehicle is registered in.
- The vehicle weight.
- The type of license plates requested.
- Whether or not you have a trade-in.
- The state in which you live.
- New car sales tax OR used car sales tax.
NOTE: Not ALL STATES offer a tax and tags calculator. (See below for states that do and don't offer these services.)
In addition, CarMax offers a free tax and tag calculator for some states only. This calculator can help you estimate the taxes required when purchasing a new or used vehicle.
Anytime you are shopping around for a new vehicle and are beginning to make a budget, it's important to factor in state taxes, titling and registration fees, vehicle inspection/smog test costs, and car insurance into your total cost. After calculating sales tax (depending on the new car sales tax rate), you may find your total fess have increased significantly.
A major part of the final cost of a new vehicle purchase can be the taxes you'll need to pay and the registration/titling fees you'll owe to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Motor Vehicle Division (MVD), Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), Department of Revenue (DOR), Secretary of State (SOS), or local county clerk's office.
States with Online Tax & Tag Calculators
The following states offer FREE calculators to help you determine sales and/or registration taxes:
To use the calculators above including the car payments calculator NJ, you'll usually need to enter some basic information about the vehicle you plan to purchase. The information you may need to enter into the tax and tag calculators may include:
- The vehicle identification number (VIN).
- The make, model, and year of your vehicle.
- The date that you purchased (or plan to purchase) the vehicle.
- The date the vehicle entered (or will enter) the state you plan to register it in.
- The type of license plates/registration you need for the vehicle.
If you experience any issues with any of the free tax and tag calculators above, please contact your state's DMV, MVD, MVA, DOR, SOS, or county clerk's office directly.
States with Tax & Tag Charts Only
The following states provide TAX CHARTS & INFORMATION (no calculators) to help you determine sales and/or registration taxes:
- New Hampshire's cities and towns
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Generally, these lists/charts will be organized and broken down by:
- Vehicle model years and weight classes.
- Sales tax percentages.
- Vehicle types and classification.
- Titling procedures.
- Duration of the registration.
If you need help interpreting your state's chart or have questions about which category your vehicle will fall under, please contact your state's DMV, MVD, MVA, DOR, SOS, or county clerk's office directly.
Other Costs to Consider When Purchasing a Vehicle
In addition to your state's sales, use and property taxes, and any DMV, MVD, MVA, DOR, SOS, or county clerk titling and registration fees, you'll need to consider the cost and fees for the following aspects of a vehicle purchase:
- Ordering a VIN check or vehicle history report.
- Getting a vehicle inspection, smog check, or emissions test.
- Buying car insurance.
- Performing any maintenance or upgrades.
For more information about some of those topics, please visit our pages on:Find Your
Local DMV Office