Replacing a Lost Title in Arizona
Replacing a Lost Title in Arizona
Titles are important documents, but it's easy to misplace them. Fortunately, if this should happen to you, it's a breeze to replace your Arizona vehicle title. You'll need to work directly with the agency that handles vehicle titles: the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division.
Continue reading this page details about how to apply for an AZ duplicate title, the fees involved, and what you must provide to get a replacement title in Arizona. If you're looking for instructions on how to apply for a duplicate copy of your tabs/registration, please view our page about Replacing a Lost Registration.
You can apply by mail or in person at your local AZ MVD office.
To apply for your replacement vehicle title in Arizona, you will need to:
- Complete a Title and Registration Application (Form 96-0236).
- Check off the "Title Only" and "Duplicate" boxes on the top of the form.
- Only 1 owner must sign the application, regardless how many owners are listed on the title.
- The application form will ask for an odometer reading.
- Be prepared to show a photo ID if you are a walk-in customer (such as your driver's license or state ID card).
- Provide payment for the $4 duplicate title fee. (For mail-in, pay with a check made to "Motor Vehicle Division.")
- Submit the application at any MVD-authorized third-party office or mail the application to this address:
Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 2100
Mail Drop 555M
Phoenix, AZ 85001
- If you have a mutilated or illegible AZ vehicle title, the MVD asks that you turn it in when you send in or turn in your application. As the owner, you will NOT need to sign the back of the title.
- If the record shows you have a lien on your AZ title, the replacement title will be sent to the lienholder. To prevent this from happening, you must present a lien clearance or power of attorney from the first lienholder of record. There cannot be any other liens on the vehicle record. You can also remove a lien from your vehicle title on the above application.
While you can update your address and vehicle-location address on the above application, most other information on record for your vehicle must remain the same on your AZ duplicate title. The Arizona MVD does not allow you to change any of the following on the record for your vehicle title:
- Owner name.
- Legal status.
- Vehicle information.
For more information about how to make a change of address on other MVD-related documents, please read our page about Changing Your Address in Arizona. If you need information on how to make a change of name, please visit our page about Changing Your Name.
Add/Delete Name From Title
To add or delete a name from your vehicle title, you can follow the same instructions as a title transfer. For more details, read our page about title transfers.
There will be a $4 title fee and an $8 registration fee if the vehicle is registered at the same time.
This form is used to apply for a title and registration, replace a lost title, or change your name on your title and registration.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.