Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Renewing Your CDL in Arizona

    Compare Commercial Vehicle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    AZ Renewing Your CDL

    To renew your commercial driver's license (CDL) with the Arizona Department of Transportation, you must make an appointment at a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) CDL office and appear in person.

    If your CDL is still current, you will not need to take a written test―unless you want to maintain your hazardous materials endorsement. Instead, you will merely have to fill out a renewal form, submit a current Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical Examination Form, and pay the renewal fee to keep your license valid:

    • Class A renewal: $15
    • Class B renewal: $15
    • Class C renewal: $10
    • Hazmat endorsement written test: $10

    If your CDL expires before you renew it, you need to apply for a new CDL.

    You may also need to have a new medical examination.

    Renewal of Endorsements

    If you are adding a new endorsement of any kind while renewing your CDL, you will have to take the appropriate written test. You will even have to take a written test to renew an existing hazmat endorsement. That's right: While applicants for a new endorsement must be tested, those who already have a hazmat endorsement also need to retake the written test every time they renew.

    Furthermore, those with a hazmat endorsement must have an up-to-date background check on file with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for their renewal to be approved. You'll apply for a background check periodically just as you did for your initial hazmat endorsement when you first applied for a new CDL.

    Hazmat Background Records Check

    The TSA requires that you undergo a background check every 5 years while you maintain your hazmat endorsement.

    If you fail the background check or no longer qualify for a hazmat endorsement, it is your responsibility to visit an MVD CDL office to surrender your endorsement. However, you are permitted to maintain your CDL.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸