Commercial Driver FAQs in ArizonaCompare Commercial Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
What is a CDL and when do I need one?
A CDL is a commercial driver's license. Like a normal license for passenger vehicles, commercial licenses are issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). The following vehicles require you to have a CDL in order to operate them:
- If you will drive a combination vehicle (truck and trailer) whose trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more and whose total weight with the truck is 26,001 lbs or more, you will need a Class A CDL.
- If you will drive a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,001 lbs. or more, you will need a Class B CDL. With this license, you can also tow a trailer whose weight does not exceed 10,000 lbs.
- If you will transport hazardous materials or 16 passengers (including the driver) or more in a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,000 lbs. or less, you will need a Class C CDL.
Can I test for a CDL at any MVD location?
No. You must apply for your CDL and take both the written and on-road skills tests at a designated CDL MVD office.
Can I apply for or renew a CDL online?
No. Instead, you must submit a renewal form at your local designated CDL MVD, submit a current Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical Examination Form.
- Pay $25 for a Class A or B.
- $12.50 for Class C.
How do I apply for an endorsement?
If you are applying for an endorsement along with your regular CDL application, you will have to take an extra written test and pay a $10 application fee per endorsement.
If you are applying for a hazardous materials (hazmat) endorsement, the USA PATRIOT Act requires that you undergo a background records check (BRC). To qualify for the BRC, you must first complete the required CDL and hazmat written tests. Then the MVD will provide you with a Hazmat Background Check Authorization Form to take to an authorized agency for fingerprinting.Other Topics in This SectionCompare Commercial Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸