Whether you’re moving across the street or moving out of state, conducting a yard sale can help lighten your load and put a few extra dollars in your pocket.
Running a yard sale can be hard work, though. Use these simple suggestions to set yourself up for a successful day of selling.
Advertise Your Yard Sale
Let your neighborhood know about your garage sale with some advertising. Consider posting notices about your yard sale in any or all of the following places:
- Local newspapers.
- Neighborhood hangouts such as coffee shops, grocery stores, bookstores, etc. Ask permission from a manager before posting anything.
- Neighborhood corners and sign posts. Research your neighborhood’s rules and regulations on postings before placing any signs.
Organize and Price Your Yard Sale Items
As you prepare for your move and box up your belongings, you’ll come across all sorts of odds and ends that might be right for your yard sale.
Set everything you’d like to sell aside and mark it with a price. As a general rule, consider pricing your items at approximately one-third of their original cost.
Chances are, you’ll negotiate prices with your customers – especially because you’ll want to get rid of as much as you can to make relocating easier. Still, listing a price on your items can help start the conversation.
On the Day of the Yard Sale
Follow these tips to help breeze through the big day:
- Ensure all items that are not for sale are secure and hidden from view.
- Keep your pets away from the sale to avoid any mishaps between your furry friends and your customers.
- Expect early birds. Decide your policy on letting people in early and stick to it.
- Keep cash on hand to make change.
- Avoid accepting personal checks as payment. If your customer’s check bounces, you might have trouble tracking down payment.
- Invite a friend or family member to help you monitor the yard sale and keep you company.
At the end of your garage sale, you might feel exhausted. If you feel pretty beat, keep in mind how much simpler your relocation will be as a result of your yard sale. Your move will be even easier With fewer belongings to pack.
Have you ever organized a yard sale? Share your firsthand experience in the comments section below.