Immediate access to road conditions is the genius of the 511 traffic system.
With the 511 traffic system, you can access this information from the Internet, your phone (cell or landline), or a smartphone app.
511 Traffic System Availability
511 traffic systems are currently available in the following cities and states:
- ARTIMIS (Northern Kentucky – Cincinnati)
- Eastern Sierras, California
- Inland Empire (Souther California)
- Los Angeles
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- Sacramento – Northern California
- St. Louis
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
When traveling in any of these areas, you can use the 511 traffic system to access some or all of the following information for free:
- Instant traffic update. This traffic report provides up-to-the-minute information. When using 511 on the Internet and, in some instances, smartphone, you can access these traffic updates via road cameras, allowing you to gauge live traffic and weather conditions.
- Road closures.
- Road construction and related delays, giving you the heads-up on when to seek alternative routes.
- Amber alerts.
- Rideshare programs. Not all systems offer this feature, but those that do provide information on commuter services, carpooling, park-and-ride lots, and high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- Public transportation information for buses, trains, subways and airports.
- 511 traffic system information for neighboring states.
- Tourist information on attractions, parking, and more. Some systems may charge a small fee for this information.
NOTE: Many 511 Internet sites allow you to personalize your information. After setting up an account with a password and username , you can customize specific information needs based on specific road sections or routes that you frequent. Then when you dial 511 or log-on via the Internet, you’ll automatically receive traffic updates for your pre-selected areas. In addition, some these customized systems, also provide phone, text or e-mail alerts on traffic accidents and road closures.