Preparing for the written portion of your drivers license test requires studying your Department of Motor Vehicle’s (DMV) manual for the specific license you’re aiming to obtain (drivers, motorcycle, commercial). In most states, you can download driver handbooks and manuals online.
After studying the license manual, you next want to gauge your test preparedness by taking one or more drivers license practice tests. These exams feature questions similar to those found on the real license test, providing great insight on what to expect.
The popularity of these tests as valuable study aids has created a test-boom. Now you can find driver license practice tests for the following licenses, permits and subjects:
- Drivers License (also referred to as permit practice tests): These exams covers all topics found in your drivers license handbook, including driving laws, defensive driving techniques, and the dangers of drinking and driving.
- Drivers License Road Test: These online tests, similar to video games, allow you to practice parking, negotiating through busy intersections and more.
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL): All practice exams are CDL specific, addressing all major commercial driving topics including pre-trip inspections, braking distance, and proper loading and carrying techniques.
- CDL Endorsements: You can find specific practice tests for the following specific endorsements: tanks vehicles, combination vehicles, doubles and triples, air brakes, and hazardous materials.
- Motorcycle License or Endorsement: Practice tests address everything motorcycle related. You’re tested on passing techniques, crossing grated bridges and rail road tracks, night riding, and everything else covered in your state’s motorcycle license handbook.
- Traffic and Road Sign: These practice tests focus exclusively on road signs and traffic signals. All license permit tests feature at least one or two questions on road signs and traffic signals, making it a must-topic to focus your studies on.
Where to Find Practice Tests
You can find practice tests:
- On DMV websites. If offered, these tests are usually limited to a few questions.
- In state-issued driver’s license manuals and handbooks. If offered, you’ll find one or two tests in the back of the handbook.
- From online third-party companies. You can find an unlimited number of practice tests online for all topics. Some companies offer practice tests for free, others charge.
What’s your secret to passing the driver’s license exam?