Deployment for any armed forces member – Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force – is difficult. There are many things to consider, including }household finances, family, housing issues, banking and legal affairs, medical concerns, and vehicle matters.
To help mitigate last-second pressures, it’s best to prepare before your military deployment orders come through, and while there are many things to weigh, this blog will strictly focus on automotive matters.
Automotive Checklist for Deploying Military Personnel
Before your military orders are issued, consider obtaining a power of attorney (POA) document for a designated proxy to handle your vehicle’s registration and/or title. You can obtain this document from your post’s Judge Advocate General (JAG) office, or from a local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) location.
In addition, make sure your spouse or proxy has:
- At least one copy of your vehicle’s insurance policy.
- Vehicle lien information, if applicable.
- Information on inspection and/or smog check schedules, if applicable to your home state.
- Vehicle tune-up information. This should include when the next tune-up is due.
- The name and number of your preferred mechanic, if applicable.
- Information on any auto club memberships. If so, provide renewal dates.
- Knowledge of the type of gas of your vehicle requires.
- Information on often you change the oil and what grade of oil you use.
- Information on if the tires need rotating. If so, at what mileage reading.
- A spare set of car keys.
If your spouse will be driving your vehicle, for peace-of-mind purposes consider organizing a roadside emergency kit. At the bare minimum, make sure it contains:
- Flares and/or glow lights
- First-aid kit
- Jumper cables
- Several energy bars
As active member of the US military, your DMV office, in most instances, will provide leeway on your drivers license renewal. This, at the very least, will give you one less thing to worry about. To learn more, contact your DMV office.
Did we miss anything on our servicemen deployment checklist? Share your expertise with our online community by leaving a comment below.