Going green is not restricted to turning off lights, limiting showers to three minutes and eight seconds, and bringing reusable tote bags to the grocery store.
You can incorporate green practices into all aspects of life, including when moving out of state.
Try These Green Moving Tips
To help feel environmentally good about your relocation, consider the following tips:
- Pare down. Get rid of things you don’t need. The less you have, the less you need to pack, saving on boxes, packing material, and even transportation costs. Before you relocate, give items to charity, sell them online, or sponsor a garage sale.
- Avoid using cardboard boxes. Cardboard is the largest contributor to solid waste found in North American landfills. Instead use sustainable, reusable boxes. There are many companies that rent and sell these boxes, often providing delivery and pick-up service. Reusable boxes can be used up to 500 times, compared to three times by a typical cardboard box.
- If you must use cardboard boxes, avoid buying new ones. Obtain boxes from liquor shops, grocery stores and retail outlets. If you know you’ll be moving in advance, grab a box or two with every errand to make the task seem less daunting. Or, instead of using gas to drive around town to gather boxes, order used boxes from Used Cardboard Boxes, an online company. Boxes are delivered free, usually in a couple days.
- Avoid using plastic bubble wrap. Use sheets, pillows, towels, blankets, napkins, and tablecloths to wrap glasses and framed pictures. Not only is this environmentally friendly, but it saves you money.
- Try hiring an environmentally compliant moving company when relocating. These companies use moving trucks or vans that operate on bio-diesel fuel, as well as moving pads made of 100% recycled cotton.
- Use green cleaning products for scrubbing out your former place and your new home.
Do you have any additional tips on how to move green and lower your carbon footprint? Please share your greenness with our online friends by leaving a comment below.