Search & Choose State

Forms and Publications for New Residents

Date posted: 06/26/2012

by Melissa Crumish on
in Moving & Traveling

3602 Forms and Publications for New ResidentsAfter relocating and settling into your new abode, you need to address driver license and vehicle registration matters with your new state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The sooner you act the better. All DMV offices give new residents a short window of time to apply for new license plates and transfer their driver licenses.

During the process you may need all or some of the following forms and publications:

Forms Following a Move to a New State

  • Application for lessee information. Some states may require this if you’re registering a leased vehicle from another state.
  • A driver’s license application.
  • A vehicle registration application form.
  • A vehicle title form. In most cases, it’s not mandatory to change your title upon first moving. The choice is yours, but you will eventually need to update the title if or when you decide to sell or donate your vehicle vehicle.
  • A vehicle identification number (VIN) verification form. Not all states require this.
  • A sales tax exemption form.
  • A safety inspection certificate.
  • Power of Attorney form, only if someone other than yourself is signing the forms.
  • Voter registration form.

Forms After Moving Within State

Publications for New Residents After Moving From Out of State

  • If you move to a state or county requiring an emissions inspection, check with your DMV for a pamphlet explaining the program. Each area has a different name for it. Pennsylvania, for instance, calls it “Clean Vehicles Program,” while in Colorado it’s called “Air Care Colorado.”
  • New resident pamphlet. Most DMV’s offer this in pamphlet or brochure form, going under a variety of different names. In Minnesota, for example, this pamphlet is titled “Just the Facts.” On it you’ll find information on transferring your vehicle registration and drivers license, along with required forms of identification when applying.
  • Driver’s manual or handbook. You’ll need to study this if required to take a knowledge test. On the other hand it’s good to have for referencing state licensing requirements.

How to Obtain Forms and Publications

In most instances you can download all forms and publications online, or pick them up in person from any DMV location.

Can you think of any kinds of forms and publications we’ve forgotten?

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Related articles

blog comments powered by Disqus