Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • License Plates & Placards in Arkansas

    Arkansas License Plates and Placards

    Registering your vehicle is done through the Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV). When you complete the registration process you will be issued license plates.

    Many drivers like to put special tags on their vehicles as a form of personal expression or to show support for a particular organization or cause.

    Handicapped plates provide disabled drivers and passengers with more convenient parking privileges.

    Surrendering Arkansas License Plates

    If you're moving to another state or selling your vehicle, you do not need to surrender your Arkansas license plates to the OMV.

    Specialty Plates and Placards

    You can choose from a variety of different specialty plates. There are eligibility requirements depending on which specialty plate you want.

    For example, the retired military plates are only available to Arkansas residents who are retired from the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National Guard.

    Some conservation groups have handsome plates―think Ducks Unlimited. Social groups and sports associations also have specialty plates.

    Arkansas Handicapped Plates and Placards

    If you have a disability that qualifies you for the handicapped plate or placard, you can use the special plates to access handicapped parking privileges.

    Your doctor will determine if you have a disability that warrants handicapped plates.

    Permanent placards are reserved for those drivers or passengers with chronic or permanent disabilities which limit their ability to walk. If your doctor's letter qualifies you for the plate it will renew every 4 years.

    Some disabilities are temporary, a direct result of an accident or injury. The state issues temporary placards for up to 3 months.

    Antique License Plates

    Your car qualifies if it is at least 25 years old, historical, or considered to be a special-interest vehicle. It must also be relatively free of modifications.

    To apply, you'll need the following:

    You will need to submit the above items to the Office of Motor Vehicles either in person or by mail. See "Applying for AR Specialty Plates" below.

    For more information, visit the AR Office of Motor Vehicle website.

    Military License Plates in Arkansas

    There are a number of military license plates you can apply for in Arkansas. If you are an active-duty member, you will need to provide proof that you're serving in the military. The fee will vary depending on which license plate you are requesting.

    If you are a disabled veteran, you will need a letter from the Veterans Administration verifying your eligibility for these license plates. A single disabled veteran license plate will free of charge, but you will need to pay a fee of $3.75 for an additional plate.

    For more information, visit the AR OMV website.

    Applying for AR Specialty Plates

    The Office of Motor Vehicle has a unit that handles specialty plates. To apply for your tag in person, go to:

    Special License Plate
    1900 West 7th St.
    Room 1040
    Ragland Building
    Little Rock, AR 72203

    You can also apply via mail to:

    Special License Plate
    P.O. Box 1272
    Little Rock, AR 72203

    You will need to submit certain documents and payment (if required) in order to receive your specialty plates. See the Arkansas OMV website for more information.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.