- Location: Arkansas
License Plates & Placards in ArkansasCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Registering your vehicle is done through the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV). When you complete the registration process you will be issued license plates.
Many drivers like to put special tags on their vehicles as a form of personal expression or to show support for a particular organization or cause.
Handicapped plates provide disabled drivers and passengers with more convenient parking privileges.
You can choose from over 60 different specialty plates. There are eligibility requirements depending on which specialty plate you want.
For example, the retired military plates are only available to Arkansas residents who are retired from the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National Guard.
Some conservation groups have handsome plates―think Ducks Unlimited. Social groups and sports associations also have specialty plates.
If you have a disability that qualifies you for the handicapped plate or placard, you can use the special plates to access handicapped parking privileges.
Your doctor will determine if you have a disability that warrants handicapped plates. If your doctor's letter qualifies you for the plate it will renew every year with your registration.
Some disabilities are temporary, a direct result of an accident or injury. The state issues temporary placards for up to three months.
Permanent placards are reserved for those drivers or passengers with chronic or permanent disabilities which limit their ability to walk.
Your car qualifies if it is at least 25 years old, historical, or considered to be a special-interest vehicle. It must also be relatively free of modifications.
- Complete an Antique License Plate application.
- Provide the registration certificate, or some other proof of ownership that includes the vehicle's year, make, model and vehicle identification number.
- If the vehicle is not registered to you, provide either the previous title or the bill of sale.
- If the vehicle is built from a variety of sources, provide the bills of sale for the main parts.
- Pay a $7 registration fee.
The Office of Motor Vehicles has a unit that handles specialty plates. To apply for your tag in person, go to:
- Special License Plate Office
- 1900 West 7th Street
- Room 1040
- Ragland Building
- Little Rock, AR 72203
You can also apply via mail :
- Special License Plate Unit
- P.O. Box 1272
- Little Rock, AR 72203
The state does not require Arkansas residents to return their license plates after relocating to another state. Learn more on our AR License Plate Surrender page.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks