Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Drivers with Disabilities in Arkansas

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Arkansas Drivers with Disabilities

    Driving with a disability doesn't have to hamper your driving experience. The Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV) provides handicap license plates and placards for disabled drivers and passengers.

    Disabled passengers and drivers with temporary disabilities may request a handicap placard.

    Handicap license plates and hanging parking placards allow you to park in specially designated handicap parking spots, which are typically positioned near access ramps and other accessibility features.

    On this page you'll find information about the application process for disability plates and placards in Arkansas.

    Eligibility for an AR Handicap Placard or Plate

    Do you qualify for a handicap license plate? The Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicle will determine, after reviewing your application, whether you meet the criteria for a permanent or temporary handicap license plate. The disabilities that typically qualify you are:

    • Walking disabilities.
    • Lung diseases.
    • Cardiac conditions.

    Additionally, qualifying may also include conditions that:

    • Make it difficult for you to walk without stopping.
    • Require you to have an oxygen tank to help with your breathing.
    • Make you prone to heart attacks.

    If you have questions about the qualifying conditions or need recommendations pertaining to your specific circumstances, please contact your personal physician.

    Apply for Arkansas Handicap Plates and Placards

    The application process begins with your own physician. Print the Licensed Physician's or Organization's Certification for Issuance of a Special License Plate or Certificate for a Person With a Disability (Form 10-336) and ask your doctor to complete it.

    Take the completed document to any Office of Motor Vehicle, also known as Arkansas Revenue Offices.

    Renewal is exceptionally convenient because you can use the online system. If this is your first online renewal using the STAR system, begin early in the month in case you run into difficulties.

    You can also renew over the phone by calling your local Arkansas Revenue Office.

    Specialty plates allow you to park closer to your destination. Your experiences getting to work, church, shopping, or just when you're out and about are much more pleasant when you don't have to struggle with walking great distances.

    NOTE: Providing false information on your application or using someone else's handicap license plates or placards carries heavy fines and penalties.

    Traveling With a Disability Placard or Plate

    Arkansas honors unexpired disability placards and plates from other states. Likewise, current Arkansas placards and plates should be acceptable in other states. However, if you are traveling to another state and are concerned about whether your Arkansas disability plate or placard will be accepted there, it might be wise to check with that state's motor vehicle department, or simply look at our Drivers with Disabilities section for the state in question.

    Disabled Motorcycle Plates in Arkansas

    To apply for handicap license plates for your motorcycle, follow the same steps described in "Apply for Arkansas Handicap Plates and Placards" above, but mail your documents to:

    Department of Finance and Administration
    Special License Unit
    P.O. Box 1272
    Little Rock, AR 72203

    If you opt to apply in person, visit:

    Special License Unit
    Ragland Building
    1900 West 7th St.
    Little Rock, AR 72201

    Other Topics in This Section