Drivers with Disabilities in ArkansasPage Overview
You’ll find more information below about disability placards and plates in Arkansas, including how to apply through the Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV).
The AR OMV offers the following disability placards and license plates:
- Temporary placard for disabilities expected to last no more than 3 months.
- Renewable permanent placard.
- Permanent license plate that expires when your vehicle registration expires.
AR Visitors with Disabilities
If you are visiting from out of state, you can use your home state placard or license plate to park in designated handicapped places in Arkansas.
If you are moving to Arkansas, you must apply for an AR placard or plate.
You can apply for a disability placard or license plate from the AR OMV by mail or in person.
You will need:
- A Licensed Physician’s or Organization’s Certification for Issuance of a Special License Plate or Certificate for a Person with a Disability (Form 10-336), completed by your doctor.
- Proof of your identity, such as your:
- Social Security number (SSN).
- AR driver’s license number.
- AR state ID card number.
- Payment for the applicable fees:
- Temporary placards are free.
- Permanent placards are free.
- Disability license plates: Standard registration fees.
NOTE: If you are applying in person, take your identification with you. If applying by mail, send a copy of your proof of identity.
Either submit your application in person at an AR revenue office or mail your documents and payment to:
Department of Finance and Administration
Special License Unit
P.O. Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72203
All disability placards and license plates expire and must be reissued or renewed by the Arkansas OMV. Renewal options differ depending on what type of disability permit you have.
Temporary placards are valid for 3 months from the end of the month they are issued. They are NOT eligible for renewal.
Once the placard expires, you must apply for a new one if you still need it. See “ Apply for Disability Parking in Arkansas” above for more information.
Permanent placards expire at various times, usually for several years.
They can be renewed in person at an AR revenue office. Your medical condition DOES NOT have to be re-certified by your doctor and your renewal will be free.
Contact the OMV at (501) 682-4692 for any specific renewal requirements.
Disability License Plate
To renew your disability license plate, you must renew your vehicle registration.
If your disability placard has been lost or stolen, you can be issued a replacement with the same expiration date as your original.
To replace a permanent placard, call the Arkansas OMV at (501) 682-4692. Have your driver’s license or ID card AND your Social Security number (SSN) handy when you call.
NOTE: An expired temporary disability placard CANNOT be replaced.
For information about replacing a license plate that has been lost or stolen, see our Arkansas lost registration page.