Boat Registration and Licenses in Arkansas
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
- Motor boats used on the state's public waterways.
- Sail boats for use on the state's public waterways.
- Boats registered in another state that are going to be used on Arkansas waterways for fewer than fewer than 90 days.
- Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard are exempt.
- Any vessel not propelled by motor or sail.
You must apply for your registration within 30 working days of your purchase. Visit any State Revenue Office with:
- Either a bill of sale or current registration.
- Provide proof of liability insurance (if your vessel has an engine greater than 50 horsepower). Coverage must meet the state's $50,000 liability requirement and be with an insurance provider authorized to operate in Arkansas.
- Have proof that your boat has been assessed (or is listed for assessment in the current year).
- Bring proof that you've paid your personal property taxes (county tax collector receipt or payment stamp on your assessment papers).
The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission provides information on how to exhibit the registration number and validation decals.
Be sure to keep the Certificate of Number card on board; it must be readily available for inspection whenever the boat is in operation.
Registration fees vary with the size of the boat:
- Less than 16 ft.: $ 7.50
- 16 ft. to less than 26 ft. long: $15
- 26 ft. to less than 40 ft. long: $ 51
- 40 ft. and longer: $105
Your registration is valid for three years. When it's time to renew you may:
Renew in Person
Renew your registration by following the application instructions outlined above. However, you will need the renewal notice or current registration certificate instead of the bill of sale. The fees are the same, too.
Renew by Mail
Send photocopies of the required application documents (mentioned above) along with a check or money order for the renewal fee to:
- Department of Finance and Administration
- Office of Motor Vehicle
- P.O. Box 3153
- Little Rock, AR 72203-3153
Allow at least 15 days to process your request. Make your check payable to the Department of Finance and Administration.
Replace a damaged or lost registration by following the original application instructions outlined above. Cost: $1.
While Arkansas doesn't issue a boater's license, it requires residents and non-residents to successfully complete a state-approved safety education course (see below for details) if you were born on or after January 1, 1986.
You can bypass this requirement, however, if you have a valid, approved education certificate issued by another state.
A person under 12 years of age may only operate a boat with a 10 horsepower or greater engine if:
- He or she has a boating education certificate.
- Is under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian or person 18 or older.
You can also fulfill your safety education requirements by signing up for Boat Arkansas. Choose either the Internet or DVD options.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.