Voter Registration in Alabama
Voter Registration in Alabama
To participate in Alabama elections, you have to register to vote with the Alabama Board of Registrars. You can also register to vote through the Alabama Driver License Division (DLD) of the AL Department of Public Safety.
All Alabama voters must present photo identification at the polling booth in order to vote in Alabama, such as a valid:
- Alabama driver's license or non-driver ID card.
- Alabama Photo Voter ID.
- A state issued ID (can be from any state)
- U.S. passport.
- Student/employee ID card issued by a public or private university.
- Government ID card.
- U.S. military ID card.
- Tribal ID card.
If voting by absentee ballot, you must enclose a copy of your valid photo identification.
Voter Eligibility in Alabama
To be eligible to vote in Alabama, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be an Alabama resident.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- NOT be disqualified due to committing a felony.
- NOT be declared "mentally incompetent" by a court.
You can view your voter registration status and locate your polling place on the Alabama Secretary of State website.
Register to Vote in Alabama
Alabama voter registration closes 14 days before each election.
NOTE: If you will be out of state on the date of an election, make sure you register as an absentee voter.
In Person or By Mail
To register to vote in person, you will need a completed State of Alabama Mail-In Voter Registration Form (Form NVRA-2). You can have the form mailed to you by filling out the online form request or by calling (800) 274-8683.
Return your form:
- In person or by mail to your local AL county office of Board of Registrars.
- In person to an AL DMV driver licensing office when you apply for or renew your driver's license or ID card.
- In person at any other government agency, such as:
- Medicaid agencies.
- Department of Human Resources.
- County public library.
You may visit the AL Secretary of State website for a complete list of government agencies where you can register to vote.
NOTE: Once your application is processed, you will be sent a voter identification card by mail.
To register online, you need to have a valid Alabama driver's license or identification card. Otherwise, you will need to apply by mail or in person.
Do the following to register to vote online:
- Click here to be directed to the Alabama voting registration homepage.
- Select "Register to Vote."
- Select "submit an application electronically."
- Complete and submit the voter registration application.
You can check on the status of your application by using the online registrant search.
Military and Overseas Alabama Voters
If you're an active duty military member stationed out of state, or you are a U.S. citizen residing overseas, you can register as an absentee voter by mail.
Visit the Alabama Secretary of State website and enter your information to generate a registration form. Print, sign, and mail your form to the election office specified on the form. Make sure your ballot will arrive or be postmarked before the cut-off date.
You will be automatically registered as an absentee voter for the period you are out of state.
NOTE: You can also use register to vote using this method if you are the spouse or dependent of an active duty military member.
Change Your Voter Name or Address
See “ Register to Vote in Alabama" above.
NOTE: If you have changed address, you must return your form to the Board of Registrars in the same county as your NEW residence.
heroes have registered as organ donors.