511 Traffic Systems in Alabama
Registering a car?
It's a good time to check car insurance rates
Find the lowest rate among top providers.
The world is at your fingertips―almost! The 511 Traveler's Information System is becoming a traveler's best friend. Just pick up your cell phone and dial 511 to learn the best route to your destination, traffic snarls, construction in the area, and weather. Airport information is available on some systems, and more information is being added daily.
Part of the Intelligence Transportation System, you can also access 511 through a landline phone.
Before you travel, visit the Federal Highway Administration's website about the 511 program to learn about the system. This website also provides the most up-to-date listing of states using 511.
Most of the time, the only cost to the system is the phone call by your phone service carrier. Most carriers realize this is a public service and are not passing along additional fees.
There are programs available offering premium services for a fee. If you travel into a particular state or a certain area frequently, explore the options available to determine if the premium services will be helpful.Other Topics in This Section
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It