- Location: Alabama
Smog & Emission Checks in Alabama
Alabama does not require emissions testing of vehicles, although by state law any city can pass laws to begin testing. There are, however, privately owned testing facilities located statewide; check your local yellow pages.
A number of environmental groups have pushed for legislation to require stricter guidelines for emissions, but they have so far been unsuccessful. These groups periodically offer voluntary tests, so if you are interested in making sure your vehicle isn't a gross polluter, look out for these special events.
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself and your family from overexposure to "bad" air. If the news reports a high-air-pollution alert, here's what you can do:
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Ride-share or carpool to and from work.
- Telecommute if possible.
- In the summer, turn up your thermostat to conserve energy.
- Ride a bus, subway, metro line, or other public transportation.
- Ride a bike or walk when possible.
- Don't refuel your vehicle during the hottest part of the day; choose a cooler time if you can.
- Avoid using lawn mowers and other gas-powered equipment on smog-alert days.
- Limit or discontinue use of aerosol products, oil-based paints, and solvents.
- Eliminate unnecessary trips; combine errands when possible.
If your vehicle is a 1996 model or newer, it was built with a Diagnostic System Check feature which, among other things, will alert you before you have major emissions problems. If your "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, it may be time to have the emissions tested.Local Smog Check Stations
Choose a County
Other Topics in This Section
- De Kalb
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks