Smog Check in Alabama
Alabama does not require emissions testing of vehicles, although by state law any city can pass laws to begin testing. There are, however, privately owned testing facilities located statewide; check your local yellow pages.
A number of environmental groups have pushed for legislation to require stricter guidelines for emissions, but they have so far been unsuccessful. These groups periodically offer voluntary tests, so if you are interested in making sure your vehicle isn't a gross polluter, look out for these special events.
Although the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) does not require smog and emissions tests, you still can find more on other perks specific to eco-friendly driving—such as tax breaks and auto insurance discounts—on our page on green driver incentives.
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself, your family, and the environment from overexposure to "bad" air. If the news reports a high-air-pollution alert, here's what you can do:
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Ride-share or carpool to and from work.
- Telecommute if possible.
- In the summer, turn up your thermostat to conserve energy.
- Ride a bus, subway, metro line, or other public transportation.
- Ride a bike or walk when possible.
- Don't refuel your vehicle during the hottest part of the day; choose a cooler time if you can.
- Avoid using lawn mowers and other gas-powered equipment on smog-alert days.
- Limit or discontinue use of aerosol products, oil-based paints, and solvents.
- Eliminate unnecessary trips; combine errands when possible.
If your vehicle is a 1996 model or newer, it was probably built with a Diagnostic System Check feature which, among other things, will alert you before you have major emissions problems. If your "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, it may be time to have the emissions tested.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.