DMV Point System in AlabamaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
The Alabama Point System
- Reckless driving: 6 points
- Speeding (26 mph or above): 5 points
- Wrong side of road: 4 points
- Illegal passing: 4 points
- Following too closely: 3 points
To learn more about the point system, please see the comprehensive list of points on the Alabama Department of Public Safety website.
You can lose your license by not following traffic laws. Offenses such as using a vehicle while committing a felony can also cause you to lose your license or have it suspended.
Suspension time is determined by the number of points gained during a specific period. The following list is used to determine the length of your suspension time:
- 12-14 points in a 2-year period: 60 days
- 15-17 points in a 2 year period: 90 days
- 18-20 points in a 2 year period: 120 days
- 21-23 points in a 2 year period: 180 days
- 24 points and more in a 2 year period: 365 days
The Department of Public Safety will notify you in writing should a suspension take place.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report.Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸