Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Plate Surrender in Alabama

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Whether you're moving out of Alabama or selling your vehicle, you do not have to surrender your license plates to Alabama's Department of Revenue (ADOR). The plates, as you'll read below, belong to you.

    Moving to Alabama

    After establishing residency, register your car with your county's tag office. Depending on the policies of your former state, you may have to return your license plates. If not, the choice is yours on how to dispose of your former plates.

    For help with getting acclimated, visit our relocation guide.

    Moving From Alabama

    You are not required to hand in your license plates to the ADOR after moving out of the state. For the whole scoop on what to do when leaving the state, check out our Moving Out of Alabama page.

    Selling a Used Car in Alabama

    After selling your vehicle, remove the license plates. They stay with you, not the car. You may be able to transfer them to another vehicle that's in your name. Confirm with your local tag office before transferring. But knowing what to do with your plates is just one part of the selling process. Learn about titling on our Alabama title transfers page.

    Buying a Used Car in AL

    After buying a used vehicle you'll need to obtain AL license plates by registering with your county's tag office. Need more help? Go to our auto title transfers page for step-by-step detail on buying a car.

    Other Topics in This Section