Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Alabama
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
With gas prices skyrocketing, more people are looking for alternative transportation. Some are considering fuel-saving options such as scooters and mopeds built to be street legal. The Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) requires you to title and tag these machines before you can drive them legally. The process is the same as for registering a motorcycle.
When registering, you'll apply for a motorcycle tag, which carries a fee of $15. You can instead get a personalized license plate for an additional $50.
To tag and register your scooter or moped, you'll need to visit your local tag office with the following:
- Original or current title or certificate of origin showing you as the new owner.
- Your driver's license or photo ID.
- Current registration papers, if there are any.
- $15 registration fee, plus local fees of $1 to $5.
- Sales tax, based on purchase price.
Note: Scooters designed as children's toys that will not be used on the streets do not have to be tagged and titled.
Before purchasing a scooter or moped, you'll want to do some research. DMV.org has some great resources to help you get started. We've included some fun articles, too.
Links for Fun
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.