- Location: Alabama
Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Alabama
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
With gas prices skyrocketing, more people are looking for alternative transportation. Some are considering fuel-saving options such as scooters and mopeds built to be street legal. The Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) requires you to title and tag these machines before you can drive them legally. The process is the same as for registering a motorcycle.
When registering, you'll apply for a motorcycle tag, which carries a fee of $15. You can instead get a personalized license plate for an additional $50.
To tag and register your scooter or moped, you'll need to visit your local tag office with the following:
- Original or current title or certificate of origin showing you as the new owner.
- Your driver's license or photo ID.
- Bill of sale.
- Current registration papers, if there are any.
- $15 registration fee, plus local fees of $1 to $5.
- Sales tax, based on purchase price.
Note: Scooters designed as children's toys that will not be used on the streets do not have to be tagged and titled.
Before purchasing a scooter or moped, you'll want to do some research. DMV.org has some great resources to help you get started. We've included some fun articles, too.
- Transporting Your Motorcycle
- Electric Vehicles That Classify as a Motorcycle
- How to Fall/Lay Down the Bike
- Scooters 101
- Must-Have Accessories
- Theft Prevention
- Finding a Trustworthy Mechanic
Links for FunArticles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard