Special Vehicles in AlabamaPage Overview
Special Vehicles in Alabama
In Alabama, any vehicle used on public roads must be registered, titled, and tagged by the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). If you have a vehicle that you want to use only on your own property or off-road, you do not have to register, title, or tag it.
Remember, if you're required to title and register your vehicle, you must do so within 20 days from the date you acquired it. If you've recently moved to Alabama, you have 30 days to register your out-of-state vehicle with the MVD.
All vehicles requiring registration, including motorcycles, custom-built cars, RVs and motorhomes, go through the same process as registering a car. Just make sure you have all the required documentation in hand when you visit the AL MVD office, and the transaction should move smoothly.
NOTE: Call ahead to make sure the AL MVD office you're visiting accepts title and registration applications.
If you own a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Alabama, it will need to be registered through the same process as you would a standard car. The cost to register your RV will vary depending on its weight.
To register your motorhome, follow the steps on our Register Car in Alabama page.
Motorcycles in Alabama
If you drive a motorcycle in Alabama, you must follow all of the basic road rules. You must also make sure your motorcycle is appropriately titled and registered with the AL MVD.
For more information, see our Motorcycle Registration in Alabama page.
Remember, it's against the law to ride your motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on the beaches and sand dunes on the Gulf of Mexico, along the southern boundary of Alabama. For more information, read the AL statute.
All trailers, including travel trailers manufactured as model year 1990 or later, collapsible camping trailers, utility trailers, and truck trailers, must be registered. The process is the same as for car registration.
You will need:
- Appropriate auto insurance coverage.
- Your AL driver's license.
- To have your trailer inspected.
- Title certificate, if applicable.
- If you don't have your title certificate, see our Replacing a Lost Title in Alabama page.
- To pay the registration fees. See "Fees to Register Special Vehicles in AL" below.
Once you've registered your trailer, you may be able to complete your renewals online.
Depending on the type of vehicle you have, the Alabama MVD will charge you the following registration fees (based on yearly rates):
- Motorcycles: $15.
- Motorhomes: $23 to $500 (depending on gross weight of vehicle).
- If your motor home weighs over 42,000 lbs., your fees may be higher.
- Trailers: $12 to $60 (depending on the type of trailer).
Contact the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office to confirm accepted payment methods.
You do not need to title your vehicle if it is:
- 35 years old or older.
- A travel trailer that is 20 years old or older.
- A manufactured home that is 20 years old or older.
- Owned by you, but you are not a resident of Alabama.
- A vehicle used for husbandry.
- An all-terrain vehicle.
- A boat.
- An off-road vehicle.
- A snowmobile.
- A utility trailer.
- Owned by the U.S. government.
For more information, contact the Alabama MVD.Other Topics in This SectionBe a Hero
heroes have registered as organ donors.