- Location: Alabama
New to AlabamaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Alabama became a state in December 1819. The "Heart of Dixie" is now home to more than 4.5 million people.
There's a lot to explore within Alabama's 67 counties. You'll find everything from lakes, fields, mountains, and beaches to big modern cities and small old-fashioned towns.
Moving here? You'll need to get your Alabama driver's license and pick up a new tag for your vehicle. To help you get started:
- Driver's licenses are issued by the Department of Public Safety at various locations throughout the state. Check out our article on Applying for a New License for additional information.
- To find out how to register your vehicle, go to our section on Registration and Titling.
- Alabama's state law makes liability insurance mandatory. To learn more about insurance, check out DMV.org Insurance Center.
- To learn the basics of Alabama government, visit the State of Alabama website.
If you're looking for something fun to do in your new state, check out the following links:
- Arts and Cultural Activities
- Places to Visit
- Festivals and Events
- Historical Activities
- Sports & Recreation
- Alabama was once called the Cotton State―until boll weevils wiped out the crop. Farmers learned to grow other crops instead. The town of Enterprise erected a huge statue honoring the boll weevil.
- NASA's Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is home to Space Camp, an extensive museum of rockets of all shapes and sizes.
- The Port of Mobile welcomes ships from all over the world. It was home to many ships housing refugees needing shelter after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
- Freshwater and saltwater fishing in Alabama rivals any state in the country. Several of the lakes hold world records for the size of fish caught. Fishing tournaments are a common event year-round.
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard