New to Alabama
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Alabama became a state in December 1819. The "Heart of Dixie" is now home to more than 4.5 million people.
There's a lot to explore within Alabama's 67 counties. You'll find everything from lakes, fields, mountains, and beaches to big modern cities and small old-fashioned towns.
Moving here? You'll need to get your Alabama driver's license and pick up a new tag for your vehicle. To help you get started:
- Driver's licenses are issued by the Department of Public Safety at various locations throughout the state. Check out our article on Applying for a New License for additional information.
- To find out how to register your vehicle, go to our section on Registration and Titling.
- Alabama's state law makes liability insurance mandatory. To learn more about insurance, check out DMV.org Insurance Center.
- To learn the basics of Alabama government, visit the State of Alabama website.
If you're looking for something fun to do in your new state, check out the following links:
- Alabama was once called the Cotton State―until boll weevils wiped out the crop. Farmers learned to grow other crops instead. The town of Enterprise erected a huge statue honoring the boll weevil.
- NASA's Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is home to Space Camp, an extensive museum of rockets of all shapes and sizes.
- The Port of Mobile welcomes ships from all over the world. It was home to many ships housing refugees needing shelter after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
- Freshwater and saltwater fishing in Alabama rivals any state in the country. Several of the lakes hold world records for the size of fish caught. Fishing tournaments are a common event year-round.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.