Identification Cards in AlabamaPage Overview
Alabama Identification Cards
Alabama non-driver identification cards (ID) can be used as photo identification if you don’t have a driver’s license. You can use an Alabama ID card to prove your identity, date of birth, and address.
This page contains information about applying for a standard Alabama ID or STAR ID card, renewing or replacing your lost or stolen Alabama ID card, fees, and changing your name or residential address.
The Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS) does NOT have any age requirements for AL non-driver identification cards. If you’re a resident without a driver license, you may apply for an original Alabama ID card or STAR ID card.
If you’re a non-U.S. citizen, you can apply for an ID card if you’re authorized to be in the U.S. for more than 160 days.
The Alabama DPS gives you the option of upgrading your standard AL identification card to a “Secure, Trusted, and Reliable (STAR)" ID card. The STAR ID has been developed to comply with the requirements of the federal government’s REAL-ID Act.
You will need to provide additional documents in order to apply for a STAR ID card. See the “Apply for an Alabama ID Card” section below for more information.
Your STAR ID can be used as valid photo identification to board commercial aircrafts and for other official federal government purposes.
You must apply for your standard Alabama ID card or STAR ID card in person at a local DPS office.
The Alabama DPS does not schedule appointments for ID card applications.
Standard AL ID Card
To apply for an Alabama ID card, you will need:
- Proof of name and date of birth (e.g. AL driver’s license, certified U.S. birth certificate, or passport).
- Additional photo identification, if the above document does not have your photo (e.g. out-of-state driver’s license, U.S. military ID card, or marriage license).
- Proof of Social Security number (e.g. original Social Security card, W2 tax form, or certified letter from the SSA).
- Proof of lawful presence in the U.S., if you are a non-citizen (e.g. valid permanent resident card, Department of Homeland Security document, or other government issued document).
- Valid payment for your new ID card. See “AL Non-Driver Identification Card Fees” section below for fees and payment options.
Visit the Alabama DPS website for a complete list of primary and secondary documents.
Alabama STAR ID Card
If you are applying for a STAR ID card in Alabama, you will also need the following in addition to the above documents:
- Proof of name change, if applicable (e.g. marriage certificate, adoption papers, or court order).
- 2 documents proving Alabama residency (e.g. voter registration card, recent utility bill, or mortgage contract).
Visit the Alabama DPS website for a complete list of documents accepted for a STAR ID card.
A standard Alabama ID or STAR ID card is valid for 4 years and will cost you:
- $36.25 for a new card.
- $36.25 to renew.
- $31.25 for a replacement or duplicate.
- $5 in addition to the new ID card fee, for non-U.S. citizens.
The Alabama DPS does not accept payment by checks. Mailed in applications should be paid for by money order made payable to the Driver License Division.
Some Alabama counties are authorized for higher fees. Call your local Alabama driver license office for more information on AL ID card fees and acceptable payment methods.
You can renew your Alabama ID or STAR ID card up to 60 days before expiration. You must visit your local driver license office in person. You cannot renew your AL ID card online or by mail.
The Alabama DPS offers a 60-day grace period after your Alabama ID card expires, during which time your AL ID card will still be valid.
Your Alabama STAR ID card renewal application will cost you $36.25, and your new Alabama ID card will be valid for 4 years.
Contact your local Alabama DPS office to find out if you’ll need additional identification to renew your individual Alabama ID card.
If your Alabama non-driver photo ID card is lost or stolen, file a report with local law enforcement to lower your risk of identity theft.
To replace your Alabama ID card, visit your local AL DPS office and bring acceptable identification. Read the “Apply For an Alabama Identification Card” section above for information on which documents to bring to the DPS.
The fee for your replacement or duplicate Alabama ID card will be:
- $31.25 for residents under 62 years old.
- $5.50 for residents 62 years old and older.
If you’re not currently in Alabama, read the “Military and Out-of-State AL Residents” section below to find out how to replace your ID card while out of state.
Change Your Address
After moving to a new Alabama address, you must change your address with the Alabama Driver License Division within 30 days.
You can update your AL address by mail, or in person at your local DPS office. You cannot change your address online.
If you wish to receive a new AL ID card showing your new address, you will need to change your address in person.
To change your address by mail, send your full name, ID card number, and your new address to:
Driver License Division
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102
To change your address in person, simply visit your local Alabama DPS office and give them your full name, ID card number, and your new address.
If you would like a replacement ID card, you will also need valid payment for the $31.25 replacement fee. See “AL Non-Driver Identification Card Fees” section above for payment options.
Change Your Name
To change your name on your AL ID card, you must provide either a marriage certificate or court order to your probate judge or driver license office. You will need valid payment for the $31.25 replacement fee.
For more information, view our page on changing your name in Alabama.
You may be eligible to renew or apply for a duplicate Alabama ID card by mail if you received an AL ID or STAR ID card with your photograph and signature less than 4 years ago.
You will need the following documents:
- A completed Application for a Renewal or Duplicate License for Alabama Drivers Temporarily Out of State.
- A photocopy of your U.S. military ID card and military orders, if you’re out of state due to military obligations.
- A photocopy of your student photo ID and proof of college attendance, if you’re studying out of state.
- Letter or letterhead from your employer, if you’re out of state due to employment.
Mail the above documents to:
Driver License Division
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102
A renewal Alabama ID card will cost you $36.25 and a duplicate will cost you $31.25. See “AL Non-Driver Identification Card Fees” section above for payment options.Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section