DPS Driver Handbook in Alabama
The Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS) has various driving manuals available online to help you become a better driver. These include the AL driver's manual, CDL manual, and motorcycle handbook. Also available online is the AL Vehicle Code.
On this page, you'll find links to the DMV handbooks you'll need to pass your driver's license tests.
The Alabama DPS provides the Alabama Driver Manual (REV 2015) to help you learn how to safely operate a vehicle. Within the handbook, you'll find topics such as:
- How to apply for an AL driver's license.
- Vision, knowledge, and road tests.
- Driver's license fees.
- Traffic signs and signals.
- Traffic laws and driving rules.
- Driver license suspensions.
- What to do in the event of a collision.
- Alabama point system.
The driving manual is the basis for the written test you'll take to get your Alabama learner's permit or driver's license.
If you have time to study the entire DMV handbook, then have at it. If you're looking for a less time consuming way to prepare for the Alabama written exam, try an online practice test from our certified partner.
If you're applying for an Alabama commercial driver's license (CDL), you'll need to take the time to study the Commercial Driver License Manual (REV 2010).
The CDL driving manual contains information about:
- How to operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- CDL requirements and endorsements.
- Commercial driver locations.
- Air brakes.
- Transporting hazardous materials.
- Transporting cargo and passengers.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspections.
To better prepare for the CDL knowledge test in Alabama, you can also take an online practice test.
The Alabama Motorcycle Operator Manual (REV 2011) is an important resource when applying for your motorcycle license. The handbook covers topics like:
- How to apply for an AL motorcycle license.
- Getting to know your motorcycle.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Sharing your lane with other vehicles.
- Riding at night.
- Driving on dangerous road surfaces.
- Carrying passengers or cargo.
The Alabama DPS offers a list of sample questions within the driver's manual to test your knowledge of motorcycle operation rules. For additional preparation before your written exam, you can take an online motorcycle license practice test.
To legally operate a motorized vehicle on Alabama waterways, you'll need to pass a certification exam and obtain your vessel license.
Your guide to boating rules in AL is the Boat Alabama Certification Manual. Read and study the handbook to prepare for the exam.
The Alabama Motor Vehicle Code covers all statutes regarding AL traffic laws, safety requirements, and other rules of the road.
If you've received a traffic ticket, reading the code in addition to the Alabama driver handbook may help you understand why you received the citation and even help you fight the charge.