Disability Plates and Placards in AlabamaPage Overview
Alabama Disability Placards & Plates
If you are disabled, you can apply for special placards and Alabama license plates that give you access to handicapped parking spaces.
The Alabama Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) issues these placards and plates.
NOTE: If you are from out of state visiting Alabama temporarily, you can use your out-of-state disability parking permit to park in designated handicap spaces.
You may be eligible for an Alabama MVD disability license plate if you own a vehicle and have a permanent disability. You can also apply for:
- Permanent disabled placards (blue), valid for up to 5 years.
- Temporary disabled placards (red), valid for no more than 6 months.
Your physician must certify your disability, which will determine the type of permit you get:
- If you have a permanent disability, you can receive:
- 1 plate for each car you own.
- 1 placard.
- 1 plate for each car you own.
- If you have a permanent disability and do not get a license plate, you can request 2 placards.
- If you have a temporary disability, you will receive 1 placard.
- If you have a disability related to military service, you may be eligible for a disabled veteran (DV) license plate.
NOTE: Organizations are eligible for plates and placards ONLY IF they transport people with disabilities that affect their mobility.
Parking Rules & Restrictions
You can use your handicap permit to park in disabled parking spaces when you are either the driver or a passenger.
To correctly display your placard in clear view for law enforcement:
- Hang it from your rearview mirror.
- Put it on your dashboard.
You must apply for any AL disability parking placard or plate in person at your local AL MVD office. You will need:
- The Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges (Form MVR 32-6-230).
- Certification of your condition by a licensed physician, completed on the application form.
- Payment for the appropriate fee:
- Automobile license plates: $23 each.
- Motorcycle license plates: $15 each.
- Placards: Free.
You will receive your placards after the Alabama MVD reviews your application and determines that you meet the standards required.
Disabled Veteran Plates
To apply for disabled veteran (DV) license plates, you will need:
- A completed Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges (Form MVR 32-6-230).
- Your VA disability rating certification.
- Your military or veteran ID card.
DV license plate registration fees vary based on your disability rating and vehicle. Contact the Alabama MVD for more information.
Permanent placards and license plates in Alabama are valid for up to 5 years at a time. You can renew them by:
- Completing the Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges (Form MVR 32-6-230).
- Self-certifying your disability (a physician does not need to certify it).
- Paying the appropriate fees:
- $23 for each motor vehicle license plate.
- $15 for each motorcycle license plate.
- NOTE: Placards are free.
Temporary placards are valid for up to 6 months. To extend your parking privilege, you must re-apply for a temporary placard.
See our section “ Apply for Disability Parking in Alabama” above for more information.
NOTE: If you need to renew your Alabama disability license plate, visit our Registration Renewal page. You may need to bring in the same applicable disability certification paperwork as you did when you originally applied for your license plate.
To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged Alabama disability placard or plate, you must:
Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section
- Complete the replacement section of the Application for Disability Access Parking Privileges (Form MVR 32-6-230).
- Submit it in person to your local Alabama MVD licensing office.