Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Alabama

    Alabama Name Change Package - $29.95

    Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Alabama. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.

    Get Started

    Continue »

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Driver's License and ID Card

    To change the name shown on your driver's license or ID card, go in person to your local driver's license office with the proper documentation and your current license.

    Depending on the circumstances, you should show a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order showing the name change.

    Before you go to the office, update your information with the Social Security Administration. Visit the Social Security site for instructions on how to change your name with the agency.

    After you pay replacement license fee, the Driver License Division will issue you a new temporary paper license or ID that day. The division will mail your new permanent, laminated version to your home.

    Registration Papers

    When you change your name, just take the proper documentation to your county's tag and title office and make the changes when you renew your registration. There's no penalty for waiting until your renewal period; in fact, it will cost you additional fees if you do it at any other time.

    You'll need to provide your current, valid driver's license with your new name on it, as well as the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court order showing the name change. You'll also need your current registration papers to complete the process.

    Vehicle Title

    In Alabama, when you change the name on your vehicle's registration papers, you also have to change it on the title. Make the changes at your county's tag and title office during your registration renewal period. Waiting until your renewal period will save you an additional charge of $15 for the title fee―which you pay anyway at time of renewal―and it will also save you time standing in line.

    Other Topics in This Section