Car Insurance in Alabama
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Alabama Car Insurance
In 2013, Alabama enacted the Mandatory Liability Insurance Law to help define Alabama car insurance rules for all drivers. The law now requires Alabama drivers to carry auto insurance for their registered vehicles.
Read more to learn about Alabama car insurance requirements, programs, rates and discounts.
Car Insurance Requirements
To fulfill Alabama car insurance laws, you must have liability insurance to help pay for any damages or injuries you may cause to others in a car accident.
Your liability coverage must include the following minimums:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person.
- $50,000 total for bodily injury or death per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Optional Car Insurance
Your liability insurance will not cover damages to your car or your personal injuries. However, most Alabama car insurance companies offer optional types of coverage to help with these costs.
When shopping for car insurance, consider these optional types of coverage:
- Collision – This will help pay for accident-related damages to your car.
- Comprehensive – This will help pay for damages to your car that are out of your control, such as those caused by inclement weather.
- Medical and funeral – This will help cover medical bills or funeral costs after an accident.
- Uninsured motorists –This coverage will help protect you after accidents involving drivers who don’t hold insurance or have policies that are not adequate to cover your costs.
NOTE: If your car is being financed or leased, you may be required to buy collision and comprehensive coverage as part of your finance agreement.
AL Insurance Violations and Penalties
If you are caught driving without proper Alabama car insurance, you face the following penalties:
- A fine of:
- $500 upon your first violation.
- $1,000 upon your second or subsequent violation.
- 6-month suspension of your driver’s license.
- Suspension of your car registration.
- For a second or subsequent violation, your registration will be suspended for a mandatory 4 months.
If your vehicle registration is suspended due to a car insurance violation you will have to pay the following fees to have it reinstated:
- $200 for your first offense.
- $400 for your second and subsequent offenses.
SR22 in Alabama
When you have your driver’s license reinstated after a suspension, you may be required to file an SR22 with the state.
An SR22 certificate is not insurance; it is a form of proof of insurance that guarantees you will maintain the minimum requirements for car insurance.
Alabama Auto Insurance Plan
Since liability car insurance is required in Alabama, all licensed drivers are guaranteed access to car insurance. However, auto insurance companies are afforded the right to deny coverage to high-risk drivers.
If you are unable to find an insurance company willing to provide you coverage, you can purchase your insurance through the Alabama Auto Insurance Plan (ALAIP).
Through the ALAIP, Alabama car insurance companies share the risk associated with high-risk drivers. You can apply to the ALAIP through any Alabama car insurance agent.
Determining Your Premiums
When looking to buy car insurance, most car insurance companies will factor in the following when determining your rate(s):
- Driving record.
- Your car’s make and model.
- Your deductible(s).
- This is the amount of your claims you must pay out of pocket.
- The higher your deductible, the lower your premium.
Insurance Discounts in AL
When comparing car insurance quotes, ask about discounts that may apply to you.
Most auto insurance companies offer the following discounts:
- Good driver discount.
- Good student discount.
- Multi-car discount.
- Homeowner’s discount.
Taking advantage of car insurance discounts is a great way to find affordable Alabama car insurance, but don’t forget that the best way to maintain low car insurance rates is to drive safely and obey traffic laws.Choose a State:
Find Auto Insurance in Alabama
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Choose a County
Insurance Resource Center
- De Kalb
- Shop For Insurance Online
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Insuring My Teen Driver: FAQs
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Auto Insurance Coverages
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- DUI Costs and Car Insurance
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Alabama Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Alabama Motorcycle Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- Six Common Car Insurance Myths
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
- No-Fault Insurance and Fault Insurance
- Car Insurance Quotes vs. Calculators
- Car Insurance FAQs
- Car Insurance Statute of Limitations
- Why Car Insurance Rates Go Up After Accidents
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
- Damaging Your Own Property and Car Insurance Coverage
- Fraud and Theft
- Old Cars: Popular Targets of Theft
- Car Insurance Fraud 101
- Car Theft Prevention
- Most Stolen Cars and Other Vehicles
- Cities With the Highest Car Theft Rates