Paperwork When Selling a Car in AlabamaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
It is wise to accept only a certified check for the purchase; this will verify that the check is good. If you must take cash, get the buyer to sign in receipt of the vehicle. Personal checks are not advised.
It's also helpful to provide the buyer with any maintenance logs or other paperwork associated with that vehicle.
Alabama law requires the seller to have a clear title to the vehicle being sold. It is against the law to buy or sell a car without a clear title and up-to-date registration, so buyer beware if someone attempts to do this with you.
Handy hints for selling your car:
- Determine the fair market value of your car by researching the Kelley Blue Book. Print out market comparisons to show potential buyers the value of your car.
- Plan to advertise online, in your local newspaper, or in a local car buying guide.
- Clean up your car. Make needed repairs.
- When you sell the vehicle, remove the license plate. The buyer must apply for a new tag.
A bill of sale is required to complete the sale. You can easily download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.