Applying for a New CDL in Alabama

A commercial driver's license (CDL) brings with it enormous responsibility―to your employer, to the U.S. government that regulates the trucking industry, and to all the other drivers on the road. Those who wish to drive commercially in Alabama must abide not only by the licensing laws of the state, but also by the federal safety, medical, and security regulations especially for holders of CDLs.

Therefore, this article has two purposes: to explain step-by-step how to apply for a commercial driver's license in Alabama, as well as to describe the federal guidelines that apply to all commercial drivers nationwide. The federal guidelines explained below include the definition of a commercial vehicle, a rundown of the CDL classes and endorsements, an explanation of the medical requirements for licensing, and the special checks required for those who wish to transport hazardous materials.

How to Earn an Alabama CDL

The basics of applying for your commercial driver's license from the Alabama Department of Public Safety requires several steps. Some of these you need to take care of before going to your local Driver License Division office to apply and take the required tests.

Before You Apply

Applying for Your CDL

Once the above tasks are complete, take the following to the nearest Driver License Division office that handles CDLs (few do):

  • Current Alabama driver's license.
  • Social Security card or other proof of Social Security number (view the acceptable documents).
  • Current DOT medical certificate.
  • If you are taking the skills test, proof of insurance for the testing vehicle.
  • $25 for the written test, $20 for the skills.
  • License fees vary depending on the class of license you are applying for. Class A: $66.25; Class B: $56.25; Class C: $36.25. If you are purchasing a commercial learner's license, or a license to operate only a school bus, the fee is $36.25. Endorsements may be extra. Counties might also add fees.

Office hours and testing times vary, so it's a good idea to double-check the schedules at your preferred CDL licensing office and find out whether you need to make an appointment for the on-road skills test.


When you arrive at the CDL licensing office, you'll take one or more knowledge tests (written tests), depending on the type of license and endorsements you seek. These tests are based on the contents of the Alabama Commercial Driver License Manual, so be sure to study that thoroughly before you apply.

When you pass the knowledge tests, you qualify to take the skills (driving) test. You may choose to be issued a learner's license at this point so you can practice behind the wheel of a rig with a licensed commercial driver in the passenger seat. When you're ready to take the on-road driving test, go back to the CDL licensing office (you might need to make an appointment).

The driving skills test includes: vehicle inspection, vehicle control, and the actual driving test.

  • During the vehicle inspection test, you'll be asked to prove your vehicle's safety and show your inspection skills.
  • Your handling skills with your vehicle will be tested during the vehicle control portion of the test, with the examiner asking you to drive forward, backward, and in turns, in a limited area.
  • Your knowledge of signs, driving laws, and regulations, as well as your handling of certain situations, will be tested during the driving portion of the test.

New Federal Requirement

You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Alabama DPS. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed self-certified application, provide the DPS with a federal medical certificate.

Submit your self-certification certificate online, or by completing an application and either faxing it to (334) 353-1980, or mailing it to:

  • Alabama Department of Public Safety
  • Driver License Division
  • CDL Unit
  • P.O. Box 1471
  • Montgomery, AL 36102

Federal Guidelines

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was designed to improve highway safety. Its purpose was to ensure that drivers of commercial vehicles are qualified to drive them, and to remove unsafe drivers from the highways.

The Act didn't require federal driver licensing―states still license commercial drivers―but it established minimum standards that states must meet when issuing commercial driver's licenses (CDLs). It required states to upgrade their existing programs to follow the new federal standards.

Before the Act was passed, many commercial vehicle drivers operated vehicles they were not properly trained on or qualified to drive. Even in states that had separate license classes, drivers were not necessarily tested in the types of vehicles they would be driving. States must now test commercial drivers according to federal standards, to ensure that drivers know how to operate the trucks or buses they intend to drive.

The Act also made it illegal to have multiple driver's licenses. You can hold a regular or commercial driver's license, but not both.

In the past, bad drivers could more easily hide their driving histories by getting several licenses. Today, all the states are connected to a national database to check driver histories.

CDL Classes for Every State

To be eligible for a CDL, you must have a clean driving record. You must be able to read and speak English well enough to read road signs, prepare reports, and communicate with the public and with law enforcement.

The Act established three separate classes of commercial driver's licenses. Every state issues licenses in these categories:

  • Class A.
  • Class B.
  • Class C.

Many states make exceptions for farm vehicles, snow removal vehicles, fire and emergency vehicles, and some military vehicles.


To be licensed for certain types of commercial vehicles, extra testing is required. If you pass, you will receive an endorsement on your CDL. These are the five endorsements that you can apply for. Each requires between one and five knowledge (written) tests, and two require driving (skills) tests.

  • T―Double/Triple Trailers (knowledge test only)
  • P―Passenger (knowledge and skills tests)
  • N―Tank Vehicle (knowledge test only)
  • H―Hazardous Materials (knowledge test only)
  • S―School Buses (knowledge and skills tests)

Minimum Training Requirements

There are no federal standards in place for on-the-road commercial driver training. The government only requires that you take and pass your CDL knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests. Longer-combination-vehicle (LCV) drivers must receive training in driver wellness, driver qualifications, hours of service, and whistleblower protection.

To pass your driving skills tests, you will need to learn how to inspect vehicles before driving, learn how to couple and uncouple tractors and trailers, and have plenty of practice driving. This includes driving in different conditions and on different road surfaces, turning, parking, backing up, and braking.

Many motor carriers train their employees, while other drivers take courses at private driving schools, vocational or technical schools, and community colleges. Individual states often approve or certify training courses. The Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI) has set minimum standards for training curriculums and certifies driver training courses that meet industry and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FHA) guidelines. Many employers require their drivers to take PTDI-approved training.

Some states may specify minimum training guidelines. Check with your state's motor vehicles department to see if there are minimum training requirements to get your CDL.

Hazmat Background Checks

Under the USA PATRIOT Act, commercial drivers transporting hazardous materials (hazmat) must pass a background records check and be fingerprinted. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is responsible for conducting the background checks for all commercial drivers with hazmat endorsements or who want to add hazmat endorsements to their licenses. The TSA developed this program to carry out the USA PATRIOT Act mandate and protect citizens from the potential threat of terrorists using hazmat cargo.

If the TSA disqualifies you because of your background, you can appeal their finding or seek a waiver. However, if you are found guilty of a disqualifying crime, you must declare any disqualifying conditions and surrender your hazmat endorsement (if you already have it) to your state's department of motor vehicles or other licensing agency.

Applying for a Hazardous Materials Background Check

After you get a CDL, apply for a background check from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) if you'll be obtaining a hazardous materials endorsement. You may do this online or by contacting a TSA agent. They will ask for:

  • Your CDL or CDL permit number.
  • Proof of legal status.
  • Proof of Identity.

Next, the TSA will ask you to go to a fingerprint office to give your fingerprints. The TSA and the FBI will conduct background investigations. You will be responsible for various fees.

You will be notified by mail. If you are approved, you can then go to your state's licensing authority (wherever you got your CDL) to complete your hazmat application process. If you are denied, you can appeal or seek a waiver.

  • Hazmat endorsements generally must be renewed at least every 5 years.
  • Your state might require renewal more often.
  • Get a new background check each time you renew your hazmat endorsement.

Disqualifying Crimes

Conviction of any of the following crimes will disqualify you from being eligible for a hazmat endorsement:

  • Terrorism
  • Murder
  • Assault with intent to murder
  • Espionage
  • Sedition
  • Kidnapping or hostage-taking
  • Treason
  • Rape or aggravated sexual abuse
  • Extortion
  • Robbery
  • Arson
  • Bribery
  • Smuggling
  • Immigration violations
  • RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) violations
  • Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive device, firearm, or other weapon
  • Distribution of, intent to distribute, possession, or importation of a controlled substance
  • Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation, including identity fraud
  • Crimes involving a severe transportation security incident
  • Improper transportation of a hazardous material
  • Conspiracy or attempt to commit any of these crimes

Remember that your state also has its own guidelines that may be stricter than the federal ones. For more information, consult your employer, the DMV, or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Be a Hero
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 0

heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Applying for a New CDL in Another State?