Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Accident Guide in Alabama

    Alabama requires you to file an SR-31 form with the Driver License Division of the Department of Public Safety after any accident you're in that involves a certain dollar amount worth of damages or results in a death or personal injury and the at-fault driver is uninsured.

    Submit the SR-31 form by mail to:

    • Department of Public Safety
    • Safety Responsibility Unit
    • P.O. Box 1471
    • Montgomery, AL 36102

    Proof of Liability insurance

    Alabama requires vehicle owners to have liability insurance. If you have an accident, you need to supply proof of that insurance to the state.

    When law enforcement handles the accident, they'll take down all the insurance information at the time of the wreck. If you don't have proof with you, or if law enforcement did not handle the accident, you will need to file form SR-21, Proof of Liability Insurance.

    Mail the form to:

    • Driver License Division
    • Safety Responsibility Unit
    • P.O. Box 1471
    • Montgomery, AL 36102

    No Court Action Statement

    If you've had accident that caused your driver's license to be suspended, you have not been sued, and no civil action related to the accident has been filed against you in the past 2 years, you may apply to have your license reinstated. Complete form No Court Action Statement (Form SR-33) and submit it when you apply for reinstatement.

    Released from Liability

    If you've been in an accident and have paid all damages owed, you'll need to complete form SR-58, which releases you from any further liability.

    Conditional Release

    You've had an accident that's your fault, and you've made arrangements with the other party to make payments on damages. To protect you both, you'll need to complete form SR-59 showing installment payment arrangements.

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

    This year more than
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    people will be injured in a car accident due to distracted driving.

Looking for Accident Guide in Another State?