Voter Registration in Alaska

Attention:Information for voters and requirements for voting may change. Please check with the state's Division of Elections website to get current information and any updated voter identification requirements that may be required at your polling place.

Voter Registration in Alaska

To participate in Alaska elections, you'll need to register to vote with the Alaska Division of Elections. You can also register to vote through the AK Division of Motor Vehicles when you apply for a driver's license.

Voter Eligibility in Alaska

To register to vote in Alaska, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be a resident of Alaska.
  • Be at least 18 years old (or within 90 days of turning 18 years old).
  • NOT be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored).
  • NOT be registered to vote in another state.

Check Alaska Voter Registration Status

You can look up your voter registration status and verify your registration information using the Voter Search tool on the Alaska Division of Elections website.

Register to Vote in Alaska

You must register to vote at least 30 days before the next election to be able to participate in it.

In Alaska, you can complete your voter registration by mail, fax, or e-mail, and in person at your county Division of Elections office.

You can also register to vote at any AK DMV office while applying for a driver's license. You cannot submit your voter registration online.

In Person

To register in person to vote, you may visit the office of your Division of Elections with a completed State of Alaska Voter Registration Application (Form C03) and your identification.

You can complete the form online, or see a list of locations to obtain an application form on the Kansas Division of Elections website.

Once your application has been processed, a notice will be sent to you by mail.

You can also submit your voter registration when you apply for a driver's license or ID card at your local Alaska DMV office. You will not need to fill out a voter registration form. The Application for Alaska Driver License, Permit or Identification Card (Form 478) has a checkbox where you can register to vote.

By Mail, Fax, or E-Mail

When you register by mail, fax, or e-mail to vote for the first time, your identity must be verified. You will need:

Mail, fax, or e-mail the above documents to the details listed on the form.

You will receive a notice by mail once your application is processed.

Military and Out-of-State Voter Registration

AK Residents Temporarily Out of State

If you're outside of Alaska and would like to register to vote, you will need:

  • A completed State of Alaska Voter Registration Application (Form C03).
    • Have the form mailed to you by contacting the Division of Elections.
  • Proof of your Alaska residency, such as:
    • AK driver's license.
    • AK hunting or fishing license.
    • Proof of a student loan with an address in Alaska.
    • Military leave and earning statement with an Alaskan residence.
    • Proof of employment in AK.
    • Other document proving your AK residency.

Mail, fax, or e-mail the documents above to the details provided on the application.

AK Residents Permanently Overseas

If you are an Alaskan resident living outside of the U.S. indefinitely, you can register to vote by contacting the Absentee and Petition Office:

  • By mail:
      Absentee and Petition Office
      2525 Gambell Street, Suite 105
      Anchorage, Ak 99503
  • By phone: (907) 270-2700.
  • By fax: (907) 677-9943.
  • By e-mail:

Absentee Voting

All eligible voters in Alaska may vote using an absentee ballot. The Division of Elections must receive your absentee voter application no less than 10 days before the date of the election. For more information about absentee voting, visit the Division of Electionswebsite.

NOTE: If you're a student in Alaska but maintain residency in another state, you should contact the election official in your home state for specific voter/absentee qualifications.

Change Your Name, Address, or Party

To update your name, address and/or party affiliation on your Alaska voter registration, resubmit the State of Alaska Voter Registration Application (Form C03) to your local Division of Elections office.

See “ Register to Vote in Alaska" above for information on how to submit your application.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Voter Registration in Another State?