511 Traffic Systems in Alaska
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Dialing 511, America's Traveler Information number, accesses you instant information on Alaska's current road conditions. This service details every possible road situation: weather, construction, accidents, or caribou crossings.
After dialing 511, you'll hear: "Welcome to 511 Travel in the Know. To request information on a specific highway, press 1 or say 'highway'. To request a local summary, press 2 or say 'local'. For the menu options press 0 or say 'menu'".
If you press 1 or say "highway," you'll be instructed to either punch in the first three letters of the highway you're on or say the highway's name. If, for example, you say "Richardson" you'll immediately receive all relevant information for that specific highway.
If you press 2 or say "local summary" you'll be asked to say the city or town you're interested in. You'll then receive a regional update on traffic conditions in that specific area.
If you press 0 or say "menu" you'll be given the following categories to choose from: highway reports, local summary, weather forecast, ferries, comment on 511, and Yukon Road report.
Background noise confuses the 511 system. Before dialing turn off the radio and ask any or all passengers with loud voices to mute their chatter. Also, speak clearly. The system won't interpret your voice if you're attempting to talk with a slab of beef jerky crammed in your mouth.
To repeat a report, cleverly utter "repeat."
To stop a report, say "stop." The system will then automatically transfer you back to the main menu.
Other Topics in This Section
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.