Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Traffic Tickets in Alaska

    What do you need help with today?

    • Traffic Ticket Attorneys Traffic Ticket Attorneys

      Attorneys and legal services specializing in traffic citations for the state of Alaska.

    • Pay Traffic Ticket Pay Traffic Ticket

      Need help paying your Alaska ticket? DMV Guide has the answers. Information for where and...

    • Fight Traffic Ticket Fight Traffic Ticket

      Learn More On How To Fight Your Traffic Ticket in Alaska. Get Tips On Hiring...

    • Lost Traffic Ticket Lost Traffic Ticket

      Learn How To Track Down Lost Traffic Tickets in Alaska So You Can Easily Pay...

    • Driving Records Driving Records

      Learn how to obtain your driving record or the driving records of another driver in...

    • Ticket Fines and Penalties Ticket Fines and Penalties

      Get The Facts On AK Traffic Ticket Fines and Speeding Ticket Penalties. Learn More On...

    • Traffic Ticket FAQ Traffic Ticket FAQ

      Get More On Speeding Tickets in Alaska With Our Traffic Ticket FAQ Page. We Cover...

    If issued a traffic ticket in Alaska, you must respond within five working days of the date you received the ticket unless a specific date is listed on the bottom front of your ticket. If a specific date is listed, you must appear on that day and time. Learn more on our pages covering paying and fighting a traffic ticket}.

    Court Appearances

    If the police officer did not list a bail (or fine) amount on your ticket and if he/she checked the "mandatory court appearance" box on the front of your ticket, you are required to attend court.

    If you do appear in court, you may plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest, to the charges on your ticket. If you are charged with an offense that does not require a court appearance, you can plead no contest and handle the entire case by mail.

    Pay by Mail

    If you want to handle the ticket by mail, and do not want to contest the violation charges on your ticket, simply check the "no contest" box on the back of the ticket and mail a check or money order for the amount of the fine to the address listed on your ticket.

    Pay Online

    Certain courts are set up to accept the payment of traffic tickets (not parking tickets) online:

    • Anchorage
    • Aniak
    • Barrow
    • Bethel
    • Chevak
    • Cordova
    • Delta Junction
    • Dillingham
    • Emmonak
    • Fairbanks
    • Fort Yukon
    • Galena
    • Glennallen
    • Healy
    • Kodiak
    • Kotzebue
    • McGrath
    • Naknek
    • Nenana
    • Nome
    • Palmer
    • St. Mary's
    • Sand Point
    • Tanana
    • Tok
    • Unalakleet
    • Unalaska
    • Valdez

    How to Plead Not Guilty

    If you wish to plead "not guilty" to your traffic charge, check the box on the back of the ticket, then mail a copy of the ticket to the address listed on your ticket within five working days of the date you received the ticket.

    Requesting a Trial

    If you have requested a trial, you will receive a notification of the date, time and location of your hearing. You may hire a traffic ticket attorney to represent you if you wish, and your case will be heard by a judge or magistrate. Minor traffic cases do not qualify for jury trials.

    If You Are Found Guilty

    If you are found to be guilty of the charge, you must pay the fine and the surcharge as ordered by the official who heard your case. Depending on the offense, points may be entered against your driving record, and you may even lose your driver license for a period of time, depending on the charges and other factors such as your driving record. For more information, check our page on Alaska ticket fines and penalties.

    How to Appeal

    If you wish to appeal your case, you must file a written Notice of Appeal with your local court. Ask at the information counter of the courthouse what forms you will need in order to file an appeal. If you have hired an attorney, he or she will handle this paperwork for you, if you choose to have them do so.

    Failure to Appear

    If you do not respond to your ticket within the time limit written on the front, one of the following will happen:

    • A default judgment will be entered against you for the maximum fine allowed by law, plus additional court and collection costs, plus any surcharge required by law.
    • A warrant for your arrest will also be issued, and you will be charged an additional fee.

    If you are unable to appear on the stated date, or if you have any other problems meeting the deadline for your ticket, call your local traffic court division to see what can be done. Don't just let the date pass, hoping to work it out later; that can only end up costing more and you could end up in jail as a result of a warrant.

    Traffic School

    In some cases, you may be eligible to attend traffic school and have the charges against you dismissed. In most cases, you are eligible to attend traffic school only if you have not already attended in the past 18 months. You may be required to pay the amount of the fine as an offset for traffic school, but the violation will not show on your record if you are allowed to attend. The judge or magistrate who hears your case will let you know if you are eligible for traffic school. Learn more on our point reduction page.

    Vehicle Equipment Violations

    These are also known as a "fix-it" ticket and are usually related to broken windshields, lights, exhaust pipes, and lowered or otherwise altered chassis. Repair tickets can also be issued for violations including over-tinted windows, and illegal modifications to a vehicle.

    If your ticket has a checkmark in the box on the front marked "correctable," there are three things you can do:

    • Repair the specific problem (cracked windshield, broken taillight, etc.) and show a police officer or trooper the proof of the correction.
    • Appear in traffic court for arraignment.
    • Mail in your plea along with the total fine amount due if you plead no contest.

    It is suggested that when you are ready to show a police officer or trooper the proof of the corrections you've made, you go in person to a police or trooper station and take your receipt for the repair with you. Many officers will sign off the ticket based on the repair receipt and will not need to inspect the vehicle, although some will insist upon inspecting the vehicle.

    It is also suggested that you do not attempt to flag an officer or trooper down while on the road in an attempt to have them clear your citations, as this could create a hazard for you, the officer, and other motorists, especially in bad weather.