Safety Laws in AlaskaPage Overview
Licensed or endorsed riders under 18 years old are required to wear a motorcycle helmet. Any passenger, no matter the age, must wear a helmet.
No mandatory helmet law exists.
There are no driving restrictions regarding the use of cell phones. However, it is illegal to text while driving. This applies to all ages.
You must use your headlights:
- Between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise.
- When weather conditions limit visibility to less than 1,000 feet.
- When driving on roads that require headlight use (Seward Highway).
- All kids under 4 years old must be secured in a federally-approved child safety seat when riding a vehicle.
- All kids above 4 years old must, depending on age and size, either ride in a secured child safety seat or wear a seat belt.
If you're in the market for one, you can shop online for a child car seat any time of day. When ordering, make sure the car seat matches your child's weight, height and age.
If you feel a child or pet has been left unattended in a car for an inordinate amount of time, especially during extreme weather conditions, dial 911 and remain at the vehicle in question until authorities arrive.
Alaska law enforcement authorities strongly advocate the nation's Report Every Drunk Driver Immediately (REDDI) program. If you suspect someone should not be operating a vehicle, dial 911 immediately. In such instances it is better to err on the side of caution.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Treating Motion Sickness
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸