Replacing a Lost CDL in Alaska

It's not a good feeling―the discovery that you've lost your driver's license, especially if you are outside the state and on the road. Worrying about identity theft, inconvenience and how to prove that you are, well―you, at least until you can get your CDL replaced, makes a stressful situation even more stressful. Fortunately, Alaska has made it easy to replace a lost or stolen CDL.

If you are in Alaska when you discover the loss of your CDL, simply go to the nearest Division of Motor Vehicles office and let them know that you need to replace your lost CDL. Bring with you two approved documents as proof of identity. You'll also need to pass a vision test, have a new photo taken, and pay a $15 duplicate license fee.

Your duplicate (replacement) CDL will keep the same expiration date as the original had.

Applying for a Temporary CDL

A temporary CDL can be mailed to you if you lose your license while you are out of state, as long as you are an Alaska resident. The temporary CDL will give you enough time to get home and go through the steps to replace your lost CDL.

Apply for a temporary CDL by filling out the application form and mailing or faxing it to:

  • State of Alaska
  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • P.O. Box 110221
  • Juneau, AK 99811
  • Fax: (907) 465-5509

Enclose a personalized check or money order for the $15 replacement fee, payable to DMV. Write your AK CDL number on your check or money order.

When you arrive home, you'll need to go in person to your local DMV office to begin the replacement process.

Keep a Copy Handy

If you work on the road, it's wise to keep a copy of your CDL in a separate section of your truck, your sleeping quarters, or your luggage. That way, even if your license is lost or stolen, you have your information handy so that you may contact the AK DMV right away to request a temporary CDL.

If you drive intrastate only, but are frequently a long way from your home base, keeping a certified copy of your birth certificate at your home office is suggested. That way, if you lose your CDL, you may immediately apply for a duplicate (replacement).

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?