Moving Out of State in Alaska
Alaska's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will refund your registration if you were registered in another state before your current registration period. You must, however, provide written proof.
Alaska won't give you a partial refund if you move midway through your registration period.
Check with your local DMV office for information on obtaining a refund.
What to do With Your Alaska License Plates After Moving to a New State
You are not required to return your Alaska license plates after relocating to a new state.
Things to do When You Move to a New State
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require that this be done within 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title is usually not mandatory. If you plan to sell your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver, check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will recognize it as legitimate.
heroes have registered as organ donors.